Pelion, also Pellion or Pelium (Greek: Πήλιον, Πέλλιον or Πήλεον), was a fortified settlement of the Chaonian tribe of Dexaroi, now located in Goricë e Madhë, Albania, on the ancient border between Epirus and Illyria. Pelium later served as a Macedonian border fortress. Sometime in 335 BC, just before the battle of Pelium, it was occupied by Dardanians, led by Cleitus of Dardania, who fought along with Glaucias of Taulanti against Alexander the Great.
- The Illyrians (The Peoples of Europe) by John Wilkes, ISBN 0-631-19807-5, 1996, page 98, "the Dassaretae possessed several towns, though none has yet been definitely located, including Pelion Antipatreia (probably Berat) Chrysondym, Gertous or Gerous and Creonion"
- The Cambridge ancient history: The Fourth Century B.C. Cambridge University Press, I E S Edwards, John Boardman, N. G. L. Hammond, Cyril John Gadd, D. M. Lewis, Frank William Walbank, Elizabeth Rawson, John Anthony Crook, Andrew William Lintott, Alan K. Bowman, Michael Whitby, Peter Garnsey, Averil Cameron, Bryan Ward-Perkins. Cambridge University Press, 2000. ISBN 0-521-23348-8
- An Inventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis: An Investigation Conducted by The Copenhagen Polis Centre for the Danish National Research Foundation by Mogens Herman Hansen, 2005, page 326
- Barrington atlas of the Greek and Roman world by Richard J. A. Talbert, 2000, ISBN 0-691-04945-9, page 755
- The campaigns of Alexander by Arrian, Aubrey De Sélincourt, ISBN 0-14-044253-7, 1971, page 50, "Pelium was a Macedonian border fortress"
- The Macedonian Empire: The Era of Warfare Under Philip II and Alexander the Great, 359-323 B.C. by James R. Ashley, 2004, ISBN 0-7864-1918-0, page 171, "The Dardanians who were first in the field captured the Macedonian fortress of Pelium"
- The Macedonian Empire: The Era of Warfare Under Philip II and Alexander the Great, 359-323 B.C. by James R. Ashley, 2004, ISBN 0-7864-1918-0, page 171, "Pelium which was actually lightly held at the time"
- The campaigns of Alexander by Arrian, Aubrey De Sélincourt, ISBN 0-14-044253-7, 1971, page 50,"his way to Pelium, a town which had been occupied by Cleitus as the most defensible in the district"
|This article about a specific location in Korçë County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ancient Greece–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|