Penalosa, Kansas

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Penalosa, Kansas
City
Location within Kingman County (top) and Kansas
Location within Kingman County (top) and Kansas
Coordinates: 37°42′57″N 98°19′12″W / 37.71583°N 98.32000°W / 37.71583; -98.32000Coordinates: 37°42′57″N 98°19′12″W / 37.71583°N 98.32000°W / 37.71583; -98.32000
Country United States
State Kansas
County Kingman
Area[1]
 • Total 0.07 sq mi (0.18 km2)
 • Land 0.07 sq mi (0.18 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 1,729 ft (527 m)
Population (2010)[2]
 • Total 17
 • Estimate (2012[3]) 17
 • Density 240/sq mi (94/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 67035
Area code(s) 620
FIPS code 20-55225 [4]
GNIS feature ID 0473953 [5]

Penalosa is a city in Kingman County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 17.[6]

History[edit]

Penalosa was originally known as Lotta, and under the latter name founded about 1885. It was renamed Penalosa in 1887, in honor of a Spanish explorer.[7]

Geography[edit]

Penalosa is located at 37°42′57″N 98°19′12″W / 37.71583°N 98.32000°W / 37.71583; -98.32000 (37.715846, -98.320084).[8] According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.07 square miles (0.18 km2), all of it land.[1]

Demographics[edit]

Historical population
Census Pop.
1990 21
2000 27 28.6%
2010 17 −37.0%
U.S. Decennial Census

2010 census[edit]

As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 17 people, 10 households, and 5 families residing in the city. The population density was 242.9 inhabitants per square mile (93.8/km2). There were 15 housing units at an average density of 214.3 per square mile (82.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White.

There were 10 households of which 10.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.0% were non-families. 40.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.70 and the average family size was 2.20.

The median age in the city was 55.5 years. 5.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 11.8% were from 25 to 44; 47.1% were from 45 to 64; and 29.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.1% male and 52.9% female.

2000 census[edit]

As of the census[4] of 2000, there were 27 people, 12 households, and 8 families residing in the city. The population density was 374.2 people per square mile (148.9/km²). There were 19 housing units at an average density of 263.4 per square mile (104.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White.

There were 12 households out of which 8.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, and 33.3% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.75.

In the city the population was spread out with 22.2% under the age of 18, 14.8% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 37.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 58 years. For every 100 females there were 107.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 133.3 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $25,000, and the median income for a family was $66,250. Males had a median income of $21,250 versus $41,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,331. There were 20.0% of families and 11.4% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 33.3% of those over 64.

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06. 
  2. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06. 
  3. ^ "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29. 
  4. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 
  5. ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 
  6. ^ "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011. 
  7. ^ Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 216. 
  8. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. 

External links[edit]

City
Schools
Maps