||This article needs attention from an expert on the subject. (March 2011)|
Flagged revisions is a software extension to the MediaWiki wiki software that allows moderation of edits to Wiki pages. It was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation for use on Wikipedia and similar wikis hosted on its servers. The term is also sometimes used for the editorial policies related to operation of that extension when active.
Flagged revisions was a planned editorial policy of English Wikipedia aimed at "imposing a layer of editorial review on articles about living people". It was announced in August 2009, after a poll found that 80% of the users were in favor of it. It provides for "experienced volunteer editors" to approve changes to some articles. It is already in use in the German Wikipedia, where all articles are subject to this policy. In the English Wikipedia, a two-months initial trial took place in 2010. It was considered a possibility that all articles would be covered by this feature in the future, just like in the German Wikipedia. The New York Times remarked that the new policy divides Wikipedia users in two classes: "experienced, trusted editors, and everyone else—altering Wikipedia’s implicit notion that everyone has an equal right to edit entries". Brennon Slattery of PCWorld reported that "some bloggers" received the announced changes as a "failure" of the philosophy behind Wikipedia. According to the chairman of the Wikimedia board, Michael Snow, with this policy there is less tolerance for "inaccurate or fudged" articles. The feature is based on a plug-in for the MediaWiki software that prevents recent changes to wiki articles from being displayed to all readers until they have been ratified by editors with special permissions.
On June 14, 2010, English Wikipedia began a 2-month trial of a similar feature known as pending changes. In May 2011, this feature was removed indefinitely from all articles, after a discussion among English Wikipedia editors.
- Cohen, Noam (24 August 2009), "Wikipedia to Limit Changes to Articles on People", New York Times, retrieved 2010-03-09
- Modine, Austin (25 August 2009), "Wikipedia to crack down on celebrity Wikideaths", The Register, retrieved 2010-03-09
- Beaumont, Claudine (26 August 2009), "Wikipedia ends unrestricted editing of articles - Telegraph", The Daily Telegraph, retrieved 2009-09-02
- Slattery, Brennon (26 August 2009), "Wikipedia Changes Editing Policy", PC World, retrieved 2010-03-09
- ""Pending changes" trial to start on June 14". 2010-06-07. Retrieved 2010-06-13. Unknown parameter
|source=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
- "Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment February 2011". June 10, 2011. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Extension:FlaggedRevs on MediaWiki.org
- The New York Times page on Wikipedia, by Noam Cohen, discusses flagged revisions
- Flagged revisions planned release schedule (subject to change)
|This Wikipedia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|