Pengiran Anak Saleha
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
|Raja Isteri of Brunei|
|Tenure||4 October 1967 – present|
|Coronation||1 August 1968|
|Predecessor||Pengiran Anak Damit|
|Issue||Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah
Prince 'Abdul Malik
|House||House of Bolkiah|
|Father||Pengiran Pemancha Pengiran Anak Haji Mohamed Alam|
|Mother||Pengiran Babu Raja Pengiran Anak Hajah Besar|
7 October 1946 |
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
|Bruneian Royal Family|
HM The Sultan
Saleha Mohamed Alam (born 7 October 1946) is the Queen consort of Brunei as the wife of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, the current Sultan of Brunei. She is the daughter of Pengiran Anak Mohamed Alam and Pengiran Anak Besar.
Saleha had her early education through private tuition at the surau (a large prayer hall) of Istana Darul Hana. She also attended religious classes. She furthered her secondary education at Sekolah Tinggi Perempuan Raja Isteri (STPRI) in Bandar Seri Begawan until 1965.
Marriage and family life
The Sultan and Saleha are first cousins. The Sultan's late mother and the Sultanah's late father were siblings.
Saleha has two sons and four daughters. She has nine grandchildren, (5 of her daughter Princess Rashidah, 2 of her son Crown Prince Billah and 2 of her daughter Princess Majeedah) and her eldest son is the Crown Prince of Brunei.
Saleha's younger sister, Pengiran Anak Hajah Damit, died from cancer, aged 51, on 19 August 2007.
Saleha is the Patron to various organisations including the Women's Institute (WI), Pertiwi Association, PEKERTI, the Girl Guides Association of Brunei Darussalam, the Brunei Government Senior Officers Wives Welfare Association (BISTARI), the Women's Council of Brunei Darussalam, The Women Graduates' Association, and the Brunei Shell Women Association.
To show her compassion, In 2010 she donated financial aid as her personal contribution to thousands of both foreign and local women for their families. Each woman received B$700.00. The donations were handed over by all the Brunei royal princesses as her special and personal representatives at each of the four districts of Brunei Darussalam.
Hobbies and interests
Being a lover of nature, Saleha has a fruit garden, a fish pond and a bird park. Her hobbies include reading, playing badminton as well as traditional Bruneian games such as Congkak and Pasang. She is known as a kindly sultanah who often asks intelligent questions when opening official shows and exhibitions. She is known to be well-informed of what is happening at the local level as her royal children studied in local schools and universities and have commoners as friends. She is sometimes seen being driven through the town observing closely the welfare and development of both the urban and rural areas of the country.
Titles and styles
|Monarchical styles of
Queen Saleha of Brunei
|Reference style||Her Majesty|
|Spoken style||Your Majesty|
- 7 October 1946 – 29 July 1965: Her Highness Saleha.
- 29 July 1965 – 4 October 1967: Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Brunei.
- 4 October 1967 – present: Her Majesty The Raja Isteri of Brunei.
She has been awarded :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei (DKMB) 
- Senior (Laila Utama) of the Family Order of Brunei (DK I) 
- Pingat Hassanal Bolkiah Sultan (Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Medal - PHBS, 1.8.1968) 
- Jordan : Grand Cordon Special Class of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance (13.5.2008) 
- Netherlands : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion (21.1.2013) 
- Sweden : Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star (7.2.2004) 
- Thailand : Grand Cross of the Order of Chula Chom Klao (26.8.2002) 
- Ukraine : First Class of the Order of Princess Olga (8.3.2004) 
|Ancestors of Pengiran Anak Saleha|
- Borneo: Sabah - Brunei - Sarawak. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Saunders, Graham E. (2002). A history of Brunei (2 ed.). Routledge. p. 163. ISBN 0-7007-1698-X.
- Royal Ark, Brunei genealogy details p.13
- TheadmireHunkz Blog, Order DKMB, with photo of Saleha & Elisabeth II wearing DKMB decoration.
- "Warisanpermaisuri" blog, Sultanah Saleha page with orders mentions (Dec. 2012)
- Noblesse et Royautés (French), State visit of Netherlands in Brunei (01/2013), Photo
Pengiran Anak Damit
(Queen consort of Brunei)
1967 – present
|Pengiran Anak Isteri
(Crown Princess of Brunei)
Pengiran Anak Sarah