|Studio album by Fleetwood Mac|
|Producer||Fleetwood Mac & Martin Birch|
|Fleetwood Mac chronology|
Penguin is the seventh album by British rock band Fleetwood Mac, released in 1973. It was the first Fleetwood Mac album after the departure of Danny Kirwan and first to feature Bob Weston and the only one to feature Dave Walker.
The penguin is the band mascot favoured by John McVie.
In September 1972, after Kirwan was fired for an incident with the other band members during the support tour for Bare Trees, the band added guitarist Bob Weston and vocalist Dave Walker, formerly of Savoy Brown and Idle Race. Weston was well known for playing slide guitar and had known the band from his touring period with Long John Baldry. Fleetwood Mac also hired Savoy Brown's road manager, John Courage. Mick, John, Christine, Welch, Weston, and Walker recorded Penguin, which was released in March of 1973.
The subsequent tour seemed to go well, and Penguin was the highest charting Fleetwood Mac album in the US at the time, clawing its way into the Top 50. However, during the recording of their next album, Mystery to Me, it was mutually agreed upon that Walker's vocal style and attitude "did not fit in" with Fleetwood Mac and by June 1973 he had left. If anything was ever recorded by Walker for Mystery to Me it was not used, and remains unreleased.
|1.||"Remember Me"||Christine McVie||2:41|
|2.||"Bright Fire"||Bob Welch||4:31|
|4.||"(I'm A) Road Runner"||Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Edward Holland, Jr.||4:52|
|3.||"Did You Ever Love Me"||C. McVie, Welch||3:39|
|5.||"Caught in the Rain"||Bob Weston||2:35|
- Bob Welch – guitar, vocals
- Bob Weston – lead guitar, slide guitar on track 1, banjo and harmonica on track 5, harmony vocals on track 7
- Christine McVie – keyboards, vocals
- Dave Walker – vocals on tracks 4 and 5, harmonica on track 4
- John McVie – bass guitar
- Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion
- Steve Nye – organ on track 8, steel drums on track 7
- Ralph Richardson – percussion
- Russell Valdez – percussion
- Fred Totesant – percussion
- Peter Green – additional lead guitar on track 8 (uncredited)
- Producer: Fleetwood Mac and Martin Birch
- Engineer: Martin Birch
- Sleeve Design: Modula / Chris Moore (illustrator)
- Inside photo by Barry Wentzell
- Recorded in Hampshire on Rolling Stones Mobile Studio
- Mixed at Air Studios, London