Penn State Ice Pavilion
|Penn State Ice Pavilion|
|Location||University Park, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Owner||Pennsylvania State University|
|Operator||Intercollegiate Athletics' Recreational Services|
|Surface||200' x 85'|
|Nittany Lion Men's Ice Hockey (1980-2013)
Nittany Lion Women's Ice Hockey (1996-2013)
The Penn State Ice Pavilion is an 1,350-seat ice arena on the campus of The Pennsylvania State University located in University Park, Pennsylvania, United States. The ice arena includes an NHL regulation sized 200' x 85' ice sheet as well as a 45' x 55' studio ice sheet.
Before Pegula Ice Arena opened in 2013, the Ice Pavilion was home to the Penn State Nittany Lions men's and women's ice hockey teams, also known as the Icers. Through the 2011–12 season, the men's team competed at the ACHA Division I level in the Eastern States Collegiate Hockey League, while the women's team competed at ACHA Women's Division I level in the Eastern Collegiate Women's Hockey League. Beginning in 2012–13, both teams upgraded to full varsity status, respectively competing as an NCAA Division I independent and a member of College Hockey America. For 2013–14, the same season that Pegula Ice Arena opened, the men's team joined the new ice hockey league sponsored by the school's all-sports conference, the Big Ten.
PSU also fields a second men's team at the ACHA Division II level in the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association; that team continues to use the Ice Pavilion. The facility is also home to the Penn State Figure Skating Club, hockey and is used local high school and youth hockey, figure skating, broomball Penn State University Physical Education classes, and public skating.
Reports associated with the men's and women's ice hockey teams moving to the NCAA Division I level also included plans for the university to construct an $80 million 5,000-6,000 seat ice arena for the teams. Plans included the Division I teams playing in the current Ice Pavilion for a season until the new (then-unnamed) arena was completed. The new building is adjacent to the Bryce Jordan Center, used for Nittany Lions and Lady Lions basketball. The new arena opened for the 2013–14 season.
- Penn State Ice Rink Directions. Athletics.psu.edu. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- Penn State Ice Rink Advertising Customer Profile. Athletics.psu.edu. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- Penn State Figure Skating. Athletics.psu.edu (2013-07-01). Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- Penn State Nittany Lion Hockey Program. Athletics.psu.edu. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- [dead link]
- Giger, Cory. (2010-08-06) Penn State 'close' to adding arena, Division I hockey - AltoonaMirror.com - Altoona, PA | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information. The Altoona Mirror. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- Official Site
- Penn State Icers
- Penn State Lady Icers
- Penn State Ice Lions
- Penn State Figure Skating Club