|Education||Twickenham Art school|
Smith attended Twickenham Art school in the late 1960s, studying graphics and fine art. With others, she collaborated with graphic designer, Barney Bubbles and music journalist, Nick Kent in producing Friends magazine from 1969 to 1972. In 1970 she designed the sleeve for the Pink Fairies debut release Never Never Land. Her first major photographic commission was to cover a 1970s Led Zeppelin tour. Smith went on to work at the NME as staff photographer until the early 1980s.
In her career, Smith has photographed some well-known rock musicians including: Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Iggy Pop, The Clash, The Jam, The Slits, Siouxsie Sioux, Debbie Harry, U2, Morrissey, The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis , David Smith and The Strokes.
In addition to her portrait work she has covered tours with musicians, including a photograph of The Clash's Paul Simonon smashing his bass guitar on the stage in New York during a 1979 tour. The photograph went on to be used on the cover of the Clash album London Calling, designed by Ray Lowry, and received Q magazine’s "Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Photograph of All-Time" award in 2002.
Smith's work has appeared on the covers and pages of the NME, on album sleeves, promotional material and has featured in books. In 1980 her best selling book, The Clash, Before and After, was published.
Smith currently lives and works in a disused railway station in West London, which she bought and converted into a studio while she was a student, and freelances in black and white reportage photography.
- Green, Johnny; Garry Barker (2003) . A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with The Clash (3rd edition ed.). London: Orion. pp. 195–196. ISBN 0-7528-5843-2. OCLC 52990890.
- Sweeting, Adam. "Death or Glory". Uncut. October 2004. p.70.
- Judd, Terri. "One hundred timeless rock'n'roll moments, and the photographers who...". The Independent. 2002-01-24. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- Smith, Pennie (1980). The Clash: Before and After. Boston: Little, Brown. ISBN 0-316-80169-0. OCLC 8034340.
- "Classic Album Covers - British Design on stamps 7 January 2010". Norvic Philatelics. Retrieved 2010-01-08.