Pennsylvania Newspaper Association
The Pennsylvania Newspaper Association is a trade group serving newspapers in Pennsylvania. The PNA seeks to "advance the interests of Pennsylvania newspapers" and protect the "free and independent press." It represents the newspaper industry in governmental affairs and provides public educational services.
The name was changed in the late 1990s to deemphasize the association's relationship with publishing management. It is affiliated with the National Newspaper Association (NNA) and the Newspaper Association of America (NAA).
The organizational structure is threefold, with two other entities complementing the association itself. The "PNA Foundation" provides educational opportunities to students focusing on the free press. The Mid-Atlantic Newspaper Services, Inc. is a for-profit entity selling classifieds and print advertisements on behalf of PNA members.
Public advocacy 
PNA bestows annual "Newspaper of the Year" awards, among other honors. Winners have included the Erie Times-News, which was the 2003 Newspaper of the Year winner and recipient of second prize in 2006.
When merited, PNA presents the "Bill Northrop Award for distinguished work supporting freedom of information." In 2002, PNA honored retired Publisher Bill Northrop of the Observer Publishing Co. in Washington, Pa. by naming this freedom of information award after him. The first recipients were state Representatives John Maher and Chuck McIlhinney.
- "History". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "Mission Statement". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- Text on the John L. Stewart Tower at the former McIlvane Hall at Washington & Jefferson College
- "History of PNA". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "Association Structure". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "PNA FAQs". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Pushing for More Open Records". Editor and Publisher. 30 April 2007.
- Jackson, Peter (April 03, 2009). "Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Hits State Agency". Editor & Publisher (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). "The Pennsylvania Newspaper Association helped lead the lobbying for changes to strengthen the state's Right-to-Know Law"
- "News Group Wants Records Unsealed". Reading Eagle. Pennsylvania Newspaper Association. 27 March 2004.
- "PNA Awards and Contests". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "Keystone Press Awards". Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.
- "Bill Northrop Award Description". Pa-newspaper.org. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Honoring the Leaders of Reform," Press, the official journal of the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association,February 2003.