Pennsylvania Route 10
|Maintained by PennDOT|
|Length:||44.04 mi (70.88 km)|
|Existed:||1956 – present|
|South end:||PA 472 in Oxford|
| US 1 near Oxford
PA 41 in Cochranville
US 30 near Parkesburg
US 322 in Honey Brook
I-76 / Penna. Tpk. / I-176 in Morgantown
I-176 in Robeson Township
US 222 Bus. in Reading
|Counties:||Berks, Chester, Lancaster|
Pennsylvania Route 10 (PA 10) is a 44.04-mile-long (70.88 km) state route in southeastern Pennsylvania. PA 10 runs parallel to Interstate 176 for less than 13 miles (21 km) near Morgantown. Its southern terminus is at Pennsylvania Route 472 in Oxford. Its northern terminus is at U.S. Route 222 Business in Reading.
PA 10 begins at the intersection with PA 472 in the borough of Oxford on Third Street. Upon exiting the borough, the highway becomes Limestone Road. Near Wyncote Golf Club, PA 10 interchanges U.S. Route 1. The route proceeds northeast through the plains of Chester County, running east of the golf club. In the hamlet of Russellville, PA 10 intersects Newark Road, signed as PA 896. Briefly north, PA 10 intersects PA 926. The road then intersects PA 41 in Cochranville.
After crossing Russellville, the highway runs predominantly north through more agricultural sections of the county. Upon entering Parkesburg as Church Street, PA 10 intersects PA 372 in the downtown district. North of Parkesburg, the highway is known as the Octorara Trail. In the village of West Sadsbury, PA 10 intersects historic Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30).
North of US 30, PA 10 proceeds northward, through more hilly sections of Chester County. In the hamlet of Compass, the route overlaps PA 340 for about two blocks. After PA 340, PA 10 proceeds northeast, then northward as Compass Road. The road traverses the town of Honey Brook as Conestoga Avenue, intersecting U.S. Route 322 in downtown. North of Honey Brook, PA 10 continues northward, crossing the low elevated Welsh Mountain as Twin County Road.
Lancaster and Berks Counties
West of Morgantown, a grade-level intersection with the Interstate 176 spur provides access to and from Reading only. The two routes cross the town as Main Street. PA 10 turns north onto Reading Road to leave Main Street and PA 23. The road curves east to interchange I-176, at exit 1, and I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike), at exit 298. PA 10 proceeds northward as Reading Road paralleling I-176 for most of the rest of its routing.
North of Plowville, PA 10 becomes Morgantown Road paralleling I-176 to the west closely. Near Green Hills Lake, PA 10 briefly overlaps PA 568 for about a block. North of 568, the highway interchanges I-176, at exit 7 near Flying Hills Golf Club. South of the Schuylkill River course, PA 10 overlaps Pennsylvania Route 724 for a block. Upon entering the city of Reading, PA 10 parallels the U.S. Route 422 expressway before ending at U.S. Route 222 Business at the intersection with Lancaster Avenue.
PA 10 was first signed from 1927 to 1928 on the current U.S. Route 119 alignment between DuBois and Blairsville. In the 1927 numbering, when the Pennsylvania Department of Highways signed many two-digit state routes, the entire PA 10 alignment was designated as part of PA 42.
From 1935 to the late 1950s, the route was signed as U.S. Route 122 for most its entire length. The current PA 10 was signed in 1956 from Morgantown to Oxford and US 122 was truncated from Reading to Morgantown. Then in 1963, US 122 was decommissioned and PA 10 replaced it from Pennsylvania Route 23 to its current location.
|Chester||Oxford||0.00||0.00||PA 472 (Pine Street, North Third Street)||Southern terminus|
|Lower Oxford Township||1.66||2.67||US 1 (Kennett Oxford Bypass) – Rising Sun, Kennett Square||Interchange|
|Upper Oxford Township||4.57||7.35||PA 896 (Newark Road) – Octoraro, New London|
|5.08||8.18||PA 926 (Street Road)||Western terminus of PA 926|
|West Fallowfield Township||8.43||13.57||PA 41 (Gap Newport Pike) – Atglen, Avondale||Village of Cochranville|
|Parkesburg||13.53||21.77||PA 372 (First Avenue) – Parkesburg, Coatesville|
|West Sadsbury Township||15.59||25.09||US 30 (Lincoln Highway) – Lancaster, Coatesville|
|West Caln Township||18.54||29.84||PA 340 east (West Kings Highway) – Wagontown||Southern terminus of concurrency|
|18.69||30.08||PA 340 west (West Kings Highway) – Lancaster||Northern terminus of concurrency|
|Honey Brook||24.50||39.43||US 322 (Horseshoe Pike) – Beartown, Downingtown|
|Lancaster||Caernarvon Township||28.98||46.64||PA 23 west (Main Street)||Southern terminus of concurrency|
|Berks||Morgantown||29.19||46.98||I-176 – Green Hills, Reading||Exit 2 (I-176).|
|29.64||47.70||PA 23 east (Main Street)||Northern terminus of concurrency|
|Caernarvon Township||30.58||49.21||I-176 to I-76 / Penna. Tpk. – Green Hills, Reading||Southern terminus of I-176; exit 1 (I-176); exit 298 (Morgantown Exit) (I-76/PA Turnpike)|
|Robeson Township||37.86||60.93||PA 568 east (Green Hills Road) – Gibraltar||Southern terminus of concurrency|
|37.93||61.04||PA 568 west (Kurtz Mill Road) – Knauers||Northern terminus of concurrency|
|38.99||62.75||I-176 – Morgantown, Reading||Exit 7 (I-176)|
|Cumru Township||41.73||67.16||PA 724 west (Philadelphia Avenue) – Shillington||Southern terminus of concurrency|
|41.82||67.30||PA 724 east (Philadelphia Avenue) – Birdsboro||Northern terminus of concurrency|
US 222 Bus. (East Lancaster Avenue) – Allentown
|Northern terminus, no left turn from northbound PA 10 to southbound US 422 Bus.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Pennsylvania state roads". Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access. Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. 2012. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- PennDOT (2007). Pennsylvania Tourism and Transportation Map (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/MAPS/Statewide/otm/2007/otm_2007.PDF. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1929). Pennsylvania Highway map (Map). http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bharper/roads/PA1929.jpg. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Gulf Oil (1926). Pennsylvania Highway map (eastern) (Map). http://www.mapsofpa.com/art5pics/251c.jpg. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1927). Pennsylvania Highway map (Map). http://www.mapsofpa.com/roadcart/1927_2043m.jpg. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1941). Chester County Map (Sheet 1) (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Chester_1941_Sheet_1.pdf. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1962). Lancaster County Map (Sheet 1) (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lancaster_1962_Sheet_1.pdf. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1966). Berks County Map (Sheet 1) (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Berks_1966_Sheet_1.pdf. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2007 software, Toggle Measure Tool
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pennsylvania Route 10.|