Pennsylvania Route 183
|Maintained by PennDOT|
|Length:||31.6 mi (50.9 km)|
|Existed:||by 1966 – present|
US 422 Bus. in Reading
| PA 12 in Reading
US 222 in Bern Township
I-78 / US 22 near Strausstown
|North end:||PA 61 near Schuylkill Haven|
Pennsylvania Route 183 (PA 183) is a 31.6-mile-long (50.9 km) route that runs north to south in southeastern Pennsylvania. The southern terminus is at U.S. Route 422 Business (US 422 Bus.) in Reading in Berks County. Its northern terminus is at PA 61 near Schuylkill Haven in Schuylkill County. The road passes through developed areas near Reading before continuing north through rural areas, crossing from Berks County into Schuylkill County at Blue Mountain. PA 183 serves the communities of Bernville, Strausstown, and Cressona.
Much of what is now PA 183 was originally designated as part of Pennsylvania Route 83 in 1927, a route that ran from US 30/PA 1 in Devon northwest to US 120/PA 42 (now PA 61) near Schuylkill Haven. PA 83 was realigned to a more direct route in northern Berks County by 1960, bypassing a jog to the west through Rehrersburg. By 1966, PA 83 was renumbered to PA 183 to avoid duplication with Interstate 83 (I-83) and the southern terminus was cut back to its current location in Reading. The alignment of PA 83 between Devon and Reading became a part of other state routes, with some portions becoming unnumbered.
PA 183 has an ambiguous southern terminus in downtown Reading. There are two PA 183 northbound shields that indicate that the route begins at the intersection of Second and Franklin Streets (US 422 Bus. eastbound). Three blocks to the northwest however, there are shields and segment posts that have PA 183 northbound begin at the intersection of Washington (US 422 Bus. westbound) and Third Streets. PA 183 southbound terminates on US 422 Bus. westbound at the intersection of Second and Penn Streets. Past the concurrency with US 422 Bus. westbound, PA 183 heads west on the two-lane undivided Washington Street. The route passes through commercial areas before turning north onto Front Street and entering residential areas. At the intersection with Walnut Street, PA 183 splits into a one-way pair that carries two lanes in each direction, with the northbound direction remaining along Front Street and the southbound direction following Schuylkill Avenue. Front Street heads north while Schuylkill Avenue angles northwest, with the one-way pair continuing through areas of homes and passing over a Norfolk Southern railroad line. Schuylkill Avenue becomes a two-way, two-lane road at the Green Street intersection. Northbound PA 183 turns west on two-way, two-lane Windsor Street to rejoin southbound PA 183 on four-lane undivided Schuylkill Avenue. The highway heads northwest, passing over a Norfolk Southern railroad line and the Schuylkill River on a bridge.
The roadway passes commercial establishments before coming to a bridge over another Norfolk Southern railroad line, at which point it enters residential areas. PA 183 comes to an interchange with the PA 12 freeway that is connected via local streets. Here, the roadway narrows to two lanes. A short distance later, the route enters Bern Township and becomes Bernville Road, passing through a golf course before heading past a mix of homes and businesses in Greenfield Manor. The road passes to the south of Reading Regional Airport, gaining a center left-turn lane before heading past industrial parks and St. Joseph Medical Center. PA 183 widens into a four-lane divided highway as it comes to an interchange with the US 222 freeway.
Past the US 222 interchange, the route narrows back into a two-lane undivided road and passes businesses and homes in the community of Leinbachs. Farther northwest, the roadway heads into a mix of farmland and woodland with development. PA 183 heads west and crosses into Penn Township, continuing through more rural areas with some homes. The route passes through Pleasant Valley and passes to the north of Blue Marsh Lake, curving to the northwest. The road continues through wooded areas and fields with some residences as it continues along the northeastern side of the lake. Past Blue Marsh Lake, PA 183 enters Bernville and passes to the west of residential and commercial development in the town. The road leaves Bernville, at which point it briefly passes through Jefferson Township and Penn Township again before continuing back into Jefferson Township. The route passes through agricultural areas with some trees and development, curving to the north.
PA 183 enters Upper Tulpehocken Township and heads northwest again through more rural areas of farms and woods as an unnamed road. Farther northwest, the roadway passes along the northeastern border of Strausstown, at which point it crosses Old Route 22. Continuing through more of Upper Tulpehocken Township, the route comes to an interchange with I-78/US 22. Past this interchange, PA 183 passes through more areas of farmland and development before curving west into forested areas and entering Bethel Township, where it comes to an intersection with the northern terminus of PA 419. Following this, the road heads north and ascends Blue Mountain.
At the summit of Blue Mountain, PA 183 enters Wayne Township in Schuylkill County and descends the mountain. The road continues north through wooded areas with some farm fields and residences, coming to an intersection with PA 895. The route heads through more rural areas with some homes, passing through Reedsville. PA 183 comes to a junction with PA 443 and heads northeast through more farms, woods, and homes. The route crosses into North Manheim Township and becomes Chestnut Street, where it curves to the east. The road passes through more rural areas, becoming the border between Cressona to the north and North Manheim Township to the south before fully entering Cressona.
At this point, PA 183 heads into residential areas before coming to a bridge under a Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad line. Here, the route curves north and becomes Sillyman Street, passing commercial establishments before heading past homes. PA 183 turns east onto Pottsville Street, with PA 901 continuing north on Sillyman Street. The route curves northeast and continues past more residences before heading east and crossing a Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad line. At this point, PA 183 heads back into North Manheim Township, where it passes businesses and crosses the Schuylkill River before coming to its northern terminus at an intersection with PA 61 near Schuylkill Haven.
PA 183 has a total length of 31.6 miles (50.9 km). In 2010, PA 183 had an annual average daily traffic count ranging from a high of 15,000 vehicles between US 222 and Bernville to a low of 5,300 vehicles between I-78/US 22 and PA 419. None of PA 183 is part of the National Highway System.
When Pennsylvania designated legislative routes in 1911, what is now PA 183 was not given a legislative number. In 1927, PA 83 was designated to run from US 30/PA 1 in Devon northwest to US 120/PA 42 (now PA 61) near Schuylkill Haven. The route headed north from Devon to Valley Forge on Devon State Road, where it continued northwest concurrent with PA 23 through Phoenixville. Northwest of here, PA 83 headed northwest parallel to the Schuylkill River to Reading, where it turned north to follow 9th Street before heading west along US 22/PA 3 on Penn Street. From Reading, PA 83 followed the current alignment of PA 183 to northwest of Bernville, where it headed to the west to Rehrersburg before heading north. In Schubert, the route continued north along the current alignment of PA 183 to Schuylkill Haven. PA 83 followed the alignment of Legislative Route 201 between Valley Forge and North Coventry Township and Legislative Route 147 between North Coventry Township and Reading. The route had a total length of about 72 miles (116 km).
When first designated, all of PA 83 was paved except the portion between Rehrersburg and the intersection with PA 443. The remaining unpaved portion was paved by 1940. By 1960, PA 83 was realigned to a more direct alignment between Bernville and Schubert, passing through Strausstown. PA 83 was renumbered to PA 183 by 1966 to avoid conflict with I-83, which was located in South Central Pennsylvania. Also, the southern terminus was cut back to US 422 Bus. in Reading. The former alignment of PA 83 between Devon and Reading became an unnumbered road between Devon and the intersection with PA 252, PA 252 between there and Valley Forge, solely PA 23 between Valley Forge and Phoenixville, PA 724 between Phoenixville and southeast of Reading, and an unnumbered road between there and Reading. The PA 83 designation is not currently used in Pennsylvania.
US 422 Bus. (Washington Street/2nd Street) – Business District, Penn Street Bridge
|1.9||3.1||PA 12 (Warren Street Bypass) – Lebanon, Pricetown||Interchange|
|Bern Township||4.6||7.4||US 222 – Lancaster, Allentown||Interchange|
|Upper Tulpehocken Township||19.1||30.7||I-78 / US 22 – Harrisburg, Allentown||Exit 19 (I-78/US 22)|
|Bethel Township||20.9||33.6||PA 419 south (Four Point Road) – Rehrersburg, Harrisburg|
|Schuylkill||Wayne Township||24.9||40.1||PA 895 (Fair Road) – Pine Grove, Deer Lake|
|28.7||46.2||PA 443 (Long Run Road) – Pine Grove, Schuylkill Haven|
|Cressona||30.9||49.7||PA 901 west (Sillyman Street) – Minersville|
|North Manheim Township||31.6||50.9||PA 61 – Pottsville, Schuylkill Haven, Reading|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google Inc. "overview of Pennsylvania Route 183". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Washington+St&daddr=40.3491621,-75.93913+to:40.3630448,-75.9539255+to:PA-183+N%2FDouglass+Dr%2FPottsville+St&hl=en&ll=40.43545,-75.915527&spn=0.559211,1.352692&sll=40.336281,-75.931159&sspn=0.004375,0.010568&geocode=FXV-ZwIdRV95-w%3BFeqtZwIdxkJ5-ykXwobyJXfGiTFXcmatHeRjcA%3BFSTkZwId-wh5-ymj0eI453bGiTG08AYaTw7T-w%3BFYEUbAIdIo11-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=17&via=1,2&t=m&z=10. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Google Inc. "Street View of the 000 block of Second Street (U.S. 422 Bus. eastbound) approaching the intersection of Second and Franklin Streets in Reading, Pennsylvania". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=40.334797,-75.932774&spn=0.002188,0.005284&ctz=240&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.334877,-75.933795&panoid=DDYlj-UK_yfp52mJ3K4nCQ&cbp=12,197.04,,0,1.05. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Local Referencing System (LRS) - Definitions, Uses, and Testing". Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Google Inc. "Street View of the intersection of Washington (U.S. 422 Bus. westbound) and Third Streets in Reading, Pennsylvania". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=40.336915,-75.931744&spn=0.001102,0.002642&ctz=240&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.337055,-75.93174&panoid=2WO_QMf8uu1MhKbhYYz94g&cbp=12,317.37,,1,-1.42. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Google Inc. "Street View of the 000 block of Second Street (U.S. 422 Bus. westbound) approaching the southern terminus of PA 183 southbound in Reading, Pennsylvania". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=40.336275,-75.933734&spn=0.001102,0.002642&ctz=240&t=m&layer=c&cbll=40.33632,-75.933733&panoid=8ieSQD1RP752lR4IsnbLlQ&cbp=12,209.59,,1,-3.36&z=19. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Google Inc. "Street View of the Second and Washington Streets intersection; US 422 Bus. westbound and PA 183 southbound (note the segment post: SR 183 11) run along the 000 block of Second Street". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=PA-183,+Reading,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.337017,-75.931138&spn=0.004375,0.010568&sll=40.593077,-75.48382&sspn=0.139475,0.338173&oq=pa+183,+&hnear=Pennsylvania+183,+Reading,+Berks,+Pennsylvania&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.337024,-75.933468&panoid=KVyDi30JTB91A2g5p_f1ZQ&cbp=12,277.37,,1,1.71. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- PennDOT (2012). Berks County, Pennsylvania Highway Map (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/berks_GHSN.PDF. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- PennDOT (2012). Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania Highway Map (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/schuylkill_GHSN.PDF. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (2010). Pennsylvania Traffic Volume Map (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/MAPS/Traffic/Traffic_Volume/2010/Statewide_2010_tv.pdf. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- Federal Highway Administration (2010) (PDF). National Highway System: Pennsylvania (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/pa/pa_pennsylvania.pdf. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1911) (PDF). Map of Pennsylvania Showing State Highways (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1911.pdf. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1927). Pennsylvania Highway Map (Map). http://www.mapsofpa.com/roadcart/1927_2043m.jpg. Retrieved December 26, 2007.
- Gulf Oil (1928). Pennsylvania Highway Map (Philadelphia Metro) (Map). http://www.mapsofpa.com/art5pics/1928phila3.jpg. Retrieved November 8, 2007.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1930). Tourist Map of Pennsylvania (back) (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1930bk.pdf. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- Google Inc. "overview of Pennsylvania Route 83 southern section". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://goo.gl/maps/4mWcL. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Google Inc. "overview of Pennsylvania Route 83 northern section". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://goo.gl/maps/Tb6Y6. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1930). Tourist Map of Pennsylvania (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1930fr.pdf. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1940). Official Road Map of Pennsylvania (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1940fr.pdf. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- Pennsylvania Department of Highways (1960). Official Map of Pennsylvania (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1960fr.pdf. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (1966). General Highway Map Berks County, Pennsylvania Sheet 1 (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Berks_1966_Sheet_1.pdf. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (1970). Official Map of Pennsylvania (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Statewide/Historic_OTMs/1970fr.pdf. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (2012). Official Map of Pennsylvania (Map). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/MAPS/Statewide/otm/2012/otmplot_pdf2012.PDF. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Media related to Pennsylvania Route 183 at Wikimedia Commons