Pennsylvania Route 981
|Maintained by PennDOT|
|Length:||50.483 mi (81.245 km)|
|South end:||PA 51 at Rostraver Township|
| US 30 near Lawson Heights
US 22 / US 119 near New Alexandria
|North end:||PA 819 near Salina|
Pennsylvania Route 981 (PA 981) is a state highway which runs 50.4 miles (81.1 km) across Westmoreland County, in southwestern Pennsylvania. The highway begins at Pennsylvania Route 51 in Rostraver Township, Pennsylvania, and runs northward across Westmoreland County, passing through the towns of Mount Pleasant, Latrobe, and New Alexandria before ending at Pennsylvania Route 819 in Salina.
PA 981 begins at Pennsylvania Route 51 in Rostraver Township. From Rostraver, the route runs eastward to Mount Pleasant, where it meets Pennsylvania Route 31. PA 981 then turns northward, meeting U.S. 30 outside Latrobe, near the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport. The route then continues northward through Latrobe, passing by Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Continuing northward, PA 981 meets U.S. 119 and U.S. 22 at New Alexandria. The route then ends at Pennsylvania Route 819 near Salina.
The entire route is in Westmoreland County.
|Rostraver Township||0.000||0.000||PA 51 – Uniontown, Pittsburgh|
|Smithton Low-Level Bridge|
|Mount Pleasant||13.819||22.240||PA 31 west (West Main Street) / Braddock Road||Southern end of PA 31 concurrency|
|14.187||22.832||PA 31 east (West Main Street) / South Church Street||Northern end of PA 31 concurrency|
|Mount Pleasant Township||15.356||24.713||PA 819|
|Unity Township||23.061||37.113||PA 130 west (Main Street) / Marguerite Road||Southern end of PA 130 concurrency|
|23.540||37.884||PA 130 east – Lycippus||Northern end of PA 130 concurrency|
|28.273||45.501||US 30 (Lincoln Highway) – Greensburg, Ligonier|
|Derry Township||38.169||61.427||US 22 / US 119 (William Penn Highway)|
|Loyalhanna Township||45.892||73.856||PA 286 east (Washington Street) – Saltsburg||Southern end of PA 286 concurrency|
|46.090||74.175||PA 286 west (Waukeena Road)||Northern end of PA 286 concurrency|
|Bell Township||48.594||78.204||PA 156 north / Nelson Road – Avonmore||Southern terminus of PA 156|
|50.483||81.245||PA 819 – Slickville, Apollo|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pennsylvania Route 981.|
- Bureau of Maintenance and Operations (December 31, 2012). "Roadway Management System Straight Line Diagrams" (January 2013 ed.). Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Westmoreland County (PDF)
- Google Inc. "Pennsylvania Route 981". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=PA-981+S&daddr=40.1440318,-79.5826462+to:40.1582951,-79.5433727+to:40.3498962,-79.3794919+to:PA-819+N&hl=en&ll=40.346021,-79.633713&spn=0.435928,0.891953&sll=40.158246,-79.539642&sspn=0.027321,0.055747&geocode=FcWoZAIdbr8--w%3BFZ-MZAIdSqpB-ylf5qq8vyc1iDFhKSVf1fjsBQ%3BFVfEZAIdtENC-yk3w4kqHCg1iDFTyVm-xm47ow%3BFciwZwId3cNE-ylVzhTHKjPLiTHMsTO5NtKDGg%3BFZ9GagIdYsZC-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=11. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Pennsylvania Highways: Route 981[unreliable source]
- PennDOT: State Route 981 and U.S. 30 Improvements Project[dead link]