|Manufacturer||Penta Water Company, Inc.|
|Country of origin||United States|
Penta Water is a brand of ultra-purified bottled water produced by United Beverage, formerly United Packaging Group, LLC., based in Colton, California in San Bernardino County. Penta Water claims to produce its water through a patented physics process. It was first introduced in 1999 in San Diego, California and has since grown into a national retail brand, sold in natural, health food stores including Whole Foods, Sprouts, Mrs. Greens, Better Health, Green Acres, Earth Fare. As of 2013, Penta Water represented 13% of the Naturals Channel category in dollar sales.
Penta Water was purchased by United Beverage in 2010 along with its two US patents.
Penta Water was invented by Bill Holloway who was suffering from fibromyalgia. In 1996, Bill began experimenting with purifying water by using energy created by cavitation. By running the water through the physics device, Bill claimed the processed water helped him feel better with more energy and less pain, and that the purified water hydrated him and helped put balance back into his body.
Penta Water is distributed in 16.9 US fluid ounces, 500 milliliters and 33.8 US fluid ounces, 1 liter bottles.
||This section contains too-lengthy quotations for an encyclopedic entry. (July 2014)|
Advertising in the UK: The UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) upheld complaints from 2 March 2005 against claims made by Penta Water in a leaflet that:
- the leaflet misleadingly implied the product had health benefits over and above those of ordinary water, and
- the claims "restructured" and "it might be just H2O, but it's no ordinary water" were misleading, because they believed that water could not be restructured.
Quoting from the ASA website:
"The advertisers asserted that Penta was a new form of water that was restructured. They submitted research papers that they believed showed scientific evidence of restructuring and several works in preparation, including studies from UK universities, that they believed showed increased performance and recovery levels after exercise with Penta when compared with ordinary water. The advertisers argued that, because Penta could hydrate more efficiently than tap water, it was better for health; they said they had not, however, made any medicinal claims for the product. They said their local Trading Standards department had checked all their literature; they also sent a revised copy of their advertisement that they believed complied with the CAP Code.
The Authority considered that readers would be likely to interpret the claims made in the original leaflet and the revised leaflet to mean the molecular structure of water had been altered in the advertised product for improved hydration and physical performance. The Authority took expert advice and understood that the scientific evidence submitted did not prove that Penta had health benefits over and above those of ordinary water or had been restructured to form stable smaller clusters. It also understood that hydrogen-bonds in ordinary water were a weak type of chemical bonding that allowed the formation and reformation of temporary clusters of water molecules in liquid phase water many times per second. The Authority concluded that the information submitted was not sufficient to prove Penta water had health benefits over and above those of ordinary water or was structured differently from ordinary water. The Authority told the advertisers not to repeat claims that implied the product was chemically unique, had been restructured or molecularly redesigned, or hydrated cells and improved physical performance better than tap water. "
- Penta Water contains water clusters of fewer molecules than normal water.
- Penta Water has a 30% reduction in cluster size. *
- Penta Water enters cells 14% faster than normal water. *
- Cells cultured in Penta Water survive 266% longer than in normal water.
- Cells cultured in Penta Water have a 3× decrease in acidity compared to cells cultured in distilled water.
- Athletic performance measurably improves after consumption of Penta Water.
- Penta Water has a higher boiling point than normal water and this is not due to dissolved impurities. *
- Penta is easier to drink than normal water.
- Penta aids in weight loss. *
- Penta is the purest bottled water on the market.
- In vitro, Penta dissolves kidney stones faster than lab water.
- DNA mutation is 271% greater in distilled water than in Penta Water.*
- Penta is 16.7× faster water. *
- "..healthier skin, hair, and joints; stronger immune system; faster recovery from surgery or physical activity; and reduced hypertension and cholesterol." Bill Holloway, Penta CEO.
- Increased energy and mental alertness.
- Helps houseplants grow. *
- Penta has helped clear up skin problems. *
- Protein crystals grown in Penta have a different structure.
- Featured testimonial on Penta website claims Penta can help with fibromyalgia, lupus, arthritis, or chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Featured testimonial on Penta website claims Penta can help with diabetes.
- Penta acts like an energy drink. *
- It has helped to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy treatment for cancer. *
- Adding Penta to Pap smear test samples increases the accuracy of cervical cancer screenings.
- Scavenges free radicals.
- Enhances absorption of moisturiser cream onto skin. *
- Penta Water pseudoscience
- Penta for better hydration. Better hydration for better living. from web.archive.org
- Penta Water - Taste and Feel the Difference!
- Bottled Water
- Bottled Water
- Bottled Water
- Official Penta sites
- Sites critical of Penta Water
- James Randi discussion of clustered water
- James Randi discussion of Penta Water (part 1)
- James Randi discussion of Penta Water (part 2)
- James Randi: Penta may reapply for the Randi Prize
- Guardian article critical of Penta Water
- Another Guardian article critical of Penta Water
- Guardian article discussing Advertising Standards Authority adjudication on Penta water
- Guardian article discussing problems with boiling point of Penta experiment
- Article in The Times critical of Penta and other bottled waters
- Page discussing water cluster pseudoscience
- Page discussing 'Penta Water Pseudoscience'
- British Advertising Standards Authority adjudication upholding complaint against Penta's advertising
- Sites favorable to Penta Water