|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Sensor||23.6 x 15.8 mm CMOS image sensor with a primary color filter|
|Maximum resolution||12.4 megapixels|
|Lens||Interchangeable Pentax KAF2 mount compatible with Pentax auto-aperture lenses and SDM lenses; older lenses supported in stop-down metering mode.|
|Shutter speed range||1/6000 sec – 30 sec, Bulb|
|Exposure metering||TTL open-aperture metering with choice of: 16-segment, Center-weighted & Spot meter|
|Exposure modes||Program, Shutter-Speed Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Bulb, Auto, Picture modes (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night scene portrait, Standard flash-off)|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentamirror, 96% coverage, 0.85x magnification|
|ASA/ISO range||ISO Auto, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (100, 12800 with expansion)|
|Rear LCD monitor||2.7", 230,000 pixels|
|Storage||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Battery||AA (×4), Optional AC adapter|
|Weight||515 g (18.2 oz) without battery|
The Pentax K-x is a 12.4 megapixel digital single-lens reflex camera, announced on September 16, 2009. Pentax K-x uses an Exmor, Sony-made sensor (different from the back-lit Exmor-R used in other Sony models). In some cases it even approaches the quality produced by full-frame DSLRs like the Nikon D700 and the Canon 5DMkII, both with larger sensors. The Pentax K-x is suitable for low light conditions for both still and video photography.
The K-x is a compact model above the entry-level K2000/K-m. It is lighter than other Pentax DSLRs, including the K2000, and lacks the weather sealing of the K10D, K200D, K20D, and K-7, and is intended to be sold with lightweight DA-L-series lenses. It offers some improvements over the high-end K-7, including a maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 with lower noise than comparable cameras and even than some of higher class, a maximum shutter speed improved to 1/6000 s, and a faster burst mode of 4.7 frame/s. DPReview.com has observed that the K-x offers many of the same features as the K-7 features in what is essentially the same body as the K2000
- Live preview
- HD 720p video at 24 frame/s
- In-body stabilization
- HDR(High Dynamic Range) Image Capture.
The built in Shake Reduction function automatically turns off in the following situations.
- Remote control shooting
- Bulb shooting
- HDR Capture
High dynamic range imaging (HDR)
HDR takes 3 frames of different exposure and combines them into a single jpeg image while turning off the shake reduction.
This essentially means tripod only shots in most cases while trying to minimize any movement.
Self Timer would be the ideal method but unfortunately the Pentax K-x HDR feature cannot be used with the camera's selftimer as it is not enabled in Firmware 1.01 and 1.02 for reasons unknown.
This lack of Timer "drive mode" can be compensated for with a Pentax IR Remote and Remote "drive mode" selection.
AA battery life
There are many reports that using 4xAA rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops will give ~500-1000 photos on a single charge with firmware 1.01 depending on usage.
In a DPReview test of different AA batteries:
- Lithium took 1900 photos and 1100 with 50% flash
- Ni-MH 1900mAh took 640 photos and 420 with 50% flash
- Alkaline took 210 photos and 130 with 50% flash
The biggest effect on battery life is using LiveView and Video.
The camera can shoot RAW images using either the Pentax PEF format or the open standard Adobe Digital negative (DNG). Shooting RAW and a JPEG at the same time is also possible.
The camera is capable of recording HD Video files which made it quite popular for some independent filmmakers. The camera is using the "DV codec alike" MJPEG codec, which is a very soft compression that creates relatively huge video files but on the other hand allows editing of this video files even on older editing systems with less CPU power. The advantage of this compression method is that it saves every single frame as a progressive frame and is (compared to AVCHD) not only saving the changes inside the group of pictures.
Videos can be recorded either in HD (1280x720p) or SD (640x416), both with 24 frame/s. They are stored as AVI files.
The sound of the videos are all uncompressed PCM 32 kHz, 16 bit. If sound is not needed for video recordings, it can be deactivated and silent videos can be recorded.
There is no limitation for the length of a video. The only limitation is the file size for each video file which is 4 GB (the maximum file size that is allowed by the FAT32 format of the SDHC cards). So it is possible to shoot until the card is full or the batteries are empty or the sensor has excessive heat (usually after 12 minutes of continuous video shooting).
The Pentax K-x Firmware updates have added functionality and fixed a few issues.
- Improved reliability of recording operation when using SDXC memory card. (v 1.03)
- Compatible with SDXC memory card. (v 1.02)
- Added three kinds of particular effect shooting function (Pre-set 1,2 and 3) on [Cross Processing]. (v 1.01)
- Added assignment of Cross Processing function to the green button. (v 1.01)
- Improved accuracy of Battery Level Indicator under specific conditions and improved stability for general performance. (v 1.01)
- "PENTAX K-x: A High-Performance Entry-Class Digital SLR Camera, Packaging Movie Recording, High-Speed Continuous Shooting and User-Friendly Operation in Compact, Lightweight Body" (Press release). Pentax imaging. 2009-09-16.
- Pentax K-x - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/pentax-k-x
- Pentax and Sony DSLR Face-Off: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/DSLR-Pentax-Sony,review-1467.html
- "Pentax announces K-x entry level DSLR". Digital Photography Review. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- "Pentax K-x brief hands-on". Digital Photography Review. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- Time Magazine -
- Pentax K-x Review – dpreview.com
- Pentax K-x Digital SLR Review – ephotozine.com
- A terrific DSLR for beginners with masses of headroom for those learning the ropes – TechRadar.com
- Pentax K-x Review – photographyblog.com
- Pentax K-x Reviews and guides – kxuser.com
- Pentax K-x Feature page demonstrating digital filter (Traditional Chinese) – www.dcfever.com
- Pentax K-x reviews and shopping guide - www.pentaxk-x.net
- Pentax K-5 - wikoshop.com
|Pentax digital interchangeable lens camera timeline|