The China-Mauritius (or Sino-Mauritian relations) refers to the bilateral relations between the island nation of the Republic of Mauritius and the People's Republic of China (PRC). Both nations share close historical, cultural and economic ties. Mauritius host the oldest China Town in Africa, and a significant portion of the Mauritian population is of Chinese descent, having arrived on the island between the 17th and 19th centuries, they are known as Sino-Mauritians. Official diplomatic relations between the two countries were established on 15 April 1972 and, since then, relations between the two countries have been strong and have seen steady development. The Chinese President Hu Jintao visited Mauritius on 16 February 2009.
Chinese development finance to Mauritius
From 2000 to 2012, there are approximately 47 Chinese official development finance projects identified in Mauritius through various media reports. These projects range from funding a terminal at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam (SSR) international airport through a $260 million concessionary loan from the Export-Import Bank of China, to the renovation and repair of the Plaza Theatre in Rose-Hill through interest-free loans offered by the PRC.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Relations of China and Mauritius.|
- Overseas Chinese
- Africa–China relations
- Foreign relations of China
- Foreign relations of Mauritius
- "Mauritius and China consolidate friendly ties". Government of Mauritius. 10 February 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Austin Strange, Bradley C. Parks, Michael J. Tierney, Andreas Fuchs, Axel Dreher, and Vijaya Ramachandran. 2013. China’s Development Finance to Africa: A Media-Based Approach to Data Collection. CGD Working Paper 323. Washington DC: Center for Global Development.http://china.aiddata.org
- Strange, Parks, Tierney, Fuchs, Dreher, and Ramachandran, China’s Development Finance to Africa: A Media-Based Approach to Data Collection.http://aiddatachina.org/projects/1156
- Strange, Parks, Tierney, Fuchs, Dreher, and Ramachandran, China’s Development Finance to Africa: A Media-Based Approach to Data Collection.http://aiddatachina.org/projects/20910