People Express Airlines (2010s)
|Founded||February 13, 2012|
|Commenced operations||June 30, 2014|
|Ceased operations||September 26, 2014 (Temporarily)|
|Hubs||Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport|
|Company slogan||It's Time To Fly Smart|
|Headquarters||Newport News, Virginia|
|Key people||Jeffrey Erickson (CEO)
Michael Morisi (Founder)
People Express Airlines (stylized as PEOPLExpress) is an airline that began operations on June 30, 2014 from Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport, targeting the no-frills budget flyer. Due to complications with its contracted fleet, including one plane's having been hit by a ground vehicle, the airlines abruptly ceased operations on September 26, 2014, leaving some passengers stranded and others holding tickets that were not transferable to other carriers. As of late October, 2014, the company's web site states that it is attempting to resume operations, though the prior date of October 16 came and went. It's hub airport of Newport News commenced eviction on the airline on November 12, 2014.
The airline was publicly launched during a press conference at the Newport News airport on February 13, 2012, though its organization began in April 2011 when Michael Morisi, an official at the original People Express Airlines and chief operating officer for the revived company, began bringing together a group of people to start the company. People Express has received financing from private investors and Newport News area businesses.
Service was initially anticipated to begin late-2013, but several delays caused the launch date to push back to mid-2014. People Express had initially intended to acquire Xtra Airways in order to expedite the airline's certification process, but the deal was never finalized due to issues identified during the due diligence process. On October 5, Jeffrey Erickson, former Atlas Air President and CEO was announced as PEOPLExpress' first CEO.
Start of operations
At a press event on May 30, 2014, PEX announced that flight operations would commence on June 30, 2014. Flights are operated by Vision Airlines doing business as PEOPLExpress.  The airline currently utilizes Vision Airlines' existing USDOT scheduled authority and FAA Part 121 certification. People Express plans on obtaining its own FAA certification and begin operating independently within the next few years.
The airline's business model is to operate to niche markets, largely in the eastern United States, that are underserved or unserved by mainline airlines while charging about 40% less than typical fares. The airline's base is PHF in Newport News, where the end of service by AirTran in 2012 and Allegiant Air in 2014 left a void for service to multiple destinations.
End of operations
On September 26, 2014, the airline announced what it expected to be a temporary suspension of all service until October 16, 2014. The airline subsequently announced that it would not resume operations on October 16, 2014, and on November 12, 2014, PEOPLExpress was evicted from the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport due to non-payment of Passenger Facilities Charges of US$100,000.
People Express served or planned to serve the following destinations in the United States:
People Express operates as a virtual airline using exclusively Boeing 737 aircraft from Vision Airlines along with Vision Airlines flight crew. The aircraft are configured with 150 (12/138) seats. People Express may attempt to recruit a different airline to operate their routes in the near future.
|Boeing 737-400||2||12||—||138||150||Operated By Vision Airlines|
Frequent flyer program
People Express' frequent flier program is called SMARTbank, and it also operates Club Travelati, a group for customers to receive special discounts. In May 2012, the airline was fined by the United States Department of Transportation for violating a ban on premature advertising in connection with its solicitation for memberships in Club Travelati, of which the airline claimed to have sold over 130 before suspending sales at the end of March 2012.
- "New airline to be headquartered in NN". WAVY.com. 13 February 2012. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Low-cost airline with familiar name hopes to fly". USA Today. 14 February 2012. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "People Express Attempts To Return". Aviation Week. 14 February 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "New People Express faces delays". Pittsburgh Business Times. 17 July 2012.
- "PEOPLExpress Could Start Operations as Early as This Quarter". airchive.com. May 13, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "People Express expects CEO pick on the money". Daily Press. October 5, 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "People Express announces flights from Newport News to Newark, Boston, Pittsburgh starting June 30".
- "People Express suspends service, to relaunch Oct. 16".
- Blachly, Linda (September 26, 2014). "PEOPLExpress to temporarily suspend service; plans to relaunch Oct. 16". Air Transport World. Archived October 12, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "PeopleExpress Evicted". WAVY-TV.
- "Pittsburgh is PeoplExpress Airlines' 'major focus'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 15 February 2012. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "PEOPLExpress is Back in Business and Calling Virginia Home". Jaunted. February 14, 2012. Archived from the original on February 17, 2012. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- Mutzabaugh, Ben (May 11, 2012). "DOT fines start-up PEOPLExpress, which has yet to fly". USA Today. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
Media related to People Express Airlines (2012) at Wikimedia Commons