People to People International
People to People International (PTPI) was established on September 11, 1956, by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, as part of the U.S. Information Agency. After President Eisenhower left the office of President in 1961, he arranged to have the organization privatized as a nongovernmental organization and arranged for People to People to become a not-for-profit Missouri corporation now known as People to People International. President Eisenhower was Chairman of the Board of Trustees and recognized as the founder of the not-for-profit organization. It is incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in the state of Missouri and qualifies for exemption from income tax under the Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3). PTPI is funded through program fees, membership dues and donations.
Among the early leaders working with President Eisenhower were Joyce C. Hall, the founder of Hallmark Cards, Inc., Walt Disney, Bob Hope and approximately 100 other remarkable individuals from industry, academia and the arts. The late Charles M. Schulz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip, generously contributed three pieces of artwork for PTPI Worldwide Conferences.
On June 22, 2006, People to People was the first organization awarded the Cavaliere per la Pace (Knight of Peace Award). Prior to People to People, recipients of this award had always been individuals. Previous honorees include Mother Teresa, Mikhail Gorbachev and Pope John Paul II. Since its inception, eight presidents have served as the honorary chairman of People to People International.
Other PTPI Programs
Other People to People International programs include: Educational and Humanitarian Initiatives adult travel programs, the EXPERIENCE program (an annual student travel program incorporating service work), Peace Camp (free, international travel program for students with an emphasis on peace education), the Global Landmine Initiative (working with the HALO Trust), the School and Classroom Program (an international classroom-based pen pal program), & also Community, University, Student Chapters all over the world. Also the Global Youth Forum known as the GYF, open to 13-18 Year Olds all over the world every November.
A certificate in cross-cultural leadership is being developed for 2015.
The last few years the Global Youth Forums have been held in the Following Cities
|2006||Kansas City, MO||Kansas City, MO||World Hunger|
|2007||Chicago||Rosemont, IL||Child Soldiers|
|2008||Denver||Westminster, CO||Global Education|
|2009||Washington DC||Crystal City, VA||Global Sustainability|
|2011||Kansas City||Kansas City||Cultural Understanding|
|2013||Washington DC||Washington DC||Global Education|
|2014||Kansas City||Kansas City||Humanitarianism|
In early 2004, actor Gary Sinise and author Laura Hillenbrand founded Operation Iraqi Children and joined in partnership with People to People International in order to provide a way for concerned Americans to reach out to the war-stricken children of Iraq by supporting troops and their efforts to assist them. In 2009, the mission of the program was expanded to include children in areas all over the world served by American troops and the name of the program was changed to Operation International Children. The Operation International Children program announced its closing in April 2013. The final shipment to Kuwait was sent June 2013.
Ambassadors Group International, a for-profit corporation traded on NASDAQ (EPAX), serves as the exclusive travel provider of People to People International.
- "Q2 2006 Ambassadors Group, Inc. Earnings Conference Call - Final". Congressional Quarterly Transcriptions. 2006-07-20.
- John C. Abell (2009-02-09). "Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com". Today.reuters.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.[dead link]
- "Humanitarian". People to People International. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Travel Programs & Conferences". People to People International. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Student Travel & Conferences". People to People International. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Peace Camp". People to People International. Archived from the original on 2010-02-09.
- "School & Classroom Program". Ptpi.org. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Community Chapters". Ptpi.org. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "University Chapters". Ptpi.org. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Student Chapters". Ptpi.org. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Global Youth Forum 2014". People to People International. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Global Youth Service Day". People to People International. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "PTP Europe". Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "People to People International: Middle East and Africa". Archived from the original on 2013-09-16.