Peoples Christian Academy
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
|Peoples Christian Academy|
|NEW Relocation 245 Renfrew Drive, Markham. Bussing pickup and drop-off at 374 Sheppard Ave. East, Toronto, ON.
Markham, Ontario, L3R 6G3, Canada
|School board||Private school|
|Religious affiliation||Christian non-denominational. Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).|
|Superintendent||Rev. Reg Andrews|
|School type||Early Learning Centre, Elementary School, Middle School, High school|
|Motto||School Verse: But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31|
|Colours||Navy blue, White, Gold|
The Peoples Christian Academy (PCA) (founded in 1971 as The Peoples Christian Schools) is an independent, private, Christian elementary and secondary school in Toronto, Canada. The name "Peoples Christian Academy" was adopted in 1995 but was not registered by PMI as a trademark until December 3, 2003.
In 1971, The Peoples Church, Toronto, Canada under the leadership of Paul B. Smith, Senior Pastor, established an educational ministry known as The Peoples Christian Schools. Under this umbrella, two divisions became known as The Oswald J. Smith Elementary School (OJSES) and The Paul B. Smith Academy (PBSA) (the High School). Oswald J. Smith (1889–1986) was a world renowned author, poet, hymn writer, preacher, editor, and missionary. He founded The Peoples Church in 1928. The official biography of Dr. Oswald J. Smith is “Fire in His Bones” by Lois Neely. Paul B. Smith was the son of Oswald J. Smith, and Senior Pastor of The Peoples Church from 1959–1994. In 1995, the two divisions of The Peoples Christian Schools were integrated as Peoples Christian Academy (PCA) under the umbrella of Peoples Ministries Inc. (PMI). PMI consists of The Peoples Church, Global Outreach, Living Truth and Peoples Christian Academy.
PCA was originally housed within its own purpose-built facility adjoining The Peoples Church. The Elementary division, at the west side of the complex, contained classrooms, a gymnasium and a computer lab. At the east side of the building is the High School wing. The High School has a large gym, classrooms, a music room, science lab, art room, and two modern computer laboratories. The two wings are separated by The Peoples Church facilities which include offices, as well as an 1800 seat auditorium. This auditorium was used by the school for Chapel services, music classes, major concerts, and drama productions. Parking is available for senior students.
PCA Announces relocation of entire Elementary Division to 282-288 Cummer Avenue. Due to the move:
- Grades 4-6 will have their own gym as opposed to having secondary use of the High School gym.
- JK/SK will be housed in a dedicated area adjoining the new location which will allow for greater flexibility in their program.
- It will enable enhancement of the after school programs.
- It will better facilitate coverage of staff on various school trips.
- It will offer more involvement from various teachers during chapel times.
- It means a centralized administration as opposed to two Elementary School offices.
- It allows for centralized child care.
- It enables us to provide a centralized lunch program.
- It allows for more efficient supervision of outdoor recess and lunch.
- It assures the solidarity of the Elementary School staff and promotes school spirit and unity.
- It allows greater convenience for parents with more than one child for drop-off and pick-up.
March 25, 2011
PCA Announces relocation of both Elementary School and High school to 245 Renfrew Drive, in Markham, Ontario. Between Hwy's 404 and Woodbine Avenue and Hwy 407 and 16th Avenue. 60,000 Sq. Ft facilities on 5+ acres of land with green space with plans to include:
- Computer Labs
- Science Labs
- Art Room
- French/Language Room
- Music Rooms
The name "Peoples Christian Academy" was adopted in 1995 but was not registered by PMI as a trademark until December 3, 2003. Now known as PCA Inc., Peoples Christian Academy was incorporated in 2008.
According to their School Profile section, between 2008-2010, PCA students on the standardized tests taken by Grades 3, and 5, over 90% of students were above the Canadian norm in all tests. For the Ontario Grade 10 Literacy Tests, 96% were successful. 100% apply to institutions of higher education and 95% of the graduating class attend university.
- Faith: Christian, non-denominational
- Gender: Co-educational
- Early Learning Centre
- AIM French Program (JK-Grade 6)
- Relocated to New facilities 2011-12
- Average class size: 15 - 25
- PCA is a Christian school that is also a registered Canadian charitable organization. An official tax receipt is issued for the portion of tuition fees paid by a family in excess of the secular training cost (calculated as cost per student x number of children enrolled with PCA).
- Member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Registered with the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training.
- Tuition Fee discounts for siblings
Graduates have chosen to attend the likes of these:
- Acadia University
- Albany College of Pharmacy
- Carleton University
- Lakehead University
- Liberty University
- McMaster University
- Ontario College of Art & Design
- Queen’s University
- Ryerson University
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- The University of Manchester, U.K.
- The University of Sunderland, U.K.
- Trinity Western University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Guelph
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- University of Western Ontario
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- York University
- York University – Schulich School of Business
- Wheaton College, USA
40 years (1971-2011)
Peoples Christian Academy to celebrate 40 years during 2011 at the new facility.