|Created by||Sue Rose|
|Voices of||Kathleen Wilhoite
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||65 (112 individual episodes) (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Walt Disney Television Animation|
|Distributor||Buena Vista Television|
|Original run||September 13, 1997– November 18, 2000|
Pepper Ann stars adolescents and charts their ups and downs at Hazelnut Middle School. It aired as part of the Disney's One Saturday Morning block. The character originated in a comic strip published in YM magazine.
The show's plots were generally typical of the developing format that has risen out of federal E/I requirements: Pepper Ann is presented with a moral dilemma, chooses the wrong decision, faces the consequences and learns a moral lesson. The series was mostly rated TV-Y. However, the Season 1 finale, "In Support Of", raised controversy. In the episode, Pepper Ann is told she would need "support" to jump on the trampoline. Thinking the teacher meant "breast support", a paranoid, still flat-chested and seemingly unready Pepper Ann is convinced she now needs a bra. When at the trampoline, and asked where her "support" was, Pepper Ann flashes the class (her bra), although she has her back facing the viewer. (The gag is that, by "support", the instructor meant a "support buddy.") That episode was rated TV-Y7.
At the end of the opening sequence, she always finds something different under her desk (similar to The Simpsons ' couch gag), such as a mood ring or maracas (also the letter Q in the episode "Vanessa Less Tessa", a glowing green stick in the episode "Hazelnut's Finest", a singing Dieter doll in the episode "Presenting Stewart Waldinger", Mardi Gras beads, and her [Pepper Ann's] remote control in the episode "Radio Freak Hazelnut"). In season one, she always finds "five bucks".
- Pepper Ann Pearson (voiced by Kathleen Wilhoite): The 12-year-old protagonist of the series, whose emotions come out in fantasies.
- Nicky Little (voiced by Clea Lewis): Pepper Ann's best friend. She is soft-spoken and an overachieving violinist.
- Milo Kamalani (voiced by Danny Cooksey): Other best friend of Pepper Ann, who he calls "P.A." for short. He is a very eccentric and highly dramatic artist.
- Lydia Pearson (voiced by April Winchell): Divorcee single mother of Pepper Ann and Moose.
- Margaret Rose "Moose" Pearson (voiced by Pamela Segall): Pepper Ann's tomboyish younger sister.
- Principal Hickey (voiced by Don Adams): Hazelnut Middle School's tough disciplinarian with zero tolerance for Pepper Ann's shenanigans.
- Jainie Lilly Diggety (voiced by Susan Tolsky): Pepper Ann's aunt, who served as a Green Beret.
- Jo Jo Diggety (voiced by Tino Insana): Pepper Ann's uncle, who works as a cop.
- Dieter Lederhosen (voiced by Jeff Bennett): The German exchange student.
- Cecelia "Cissy" Lombardi (voiced by Kath Soucie): The "popular" girl who has become intrigued by Pepper Ann's "Pepperisims", as she calls her quirks.
- Tessa & Vanessa James (voiced by Cree Summer): The school gossips.
- Craig Bean (voiced by Jeff Bennett): The cool 8th grader, and Pepper Ann's love interest.
Pepper Ann and Lydia make a cameo appearance in the House of Mouse episode, "The Stolen Cartoons". They are the only Walt Disney Television Animation characters ever to appear on House of Mouse, which otherwise only used characters from Disney's features and classic shorts (and sometimes comics). Lydia says "Don't touch the villain, dear," to Pepper Ann after Pete falls out of the sky after being kicked out of the club.