Pepper Schwartz, Ph.D (b. May 11, 1945) is an American sociologist and sexologist teaching at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, United States. She is the author or co-author of numerous books, magazines, website columns, and a television personality on the subject of sexuality.
Schwartz is notable for her work in the 1970s and early 1980s that culminated in the book, with Philip Blumstein, American Couples: Money-Work-Sex which surveyed lesbian couples, gay male couples and heterosexual couples.
Dr. Pepper Schwartz earned a BA and an MA from Washington University in St. Louis, where she was a Woodrow Wilson Fellow, and an MA and PhD in Sociology from Yale University in 1974. While a graduate student there, she co-authored with Janet Lever the 1971 book Women at Yale, documenting the first year of co-education at that university.
Schwartz is a prolific writer and authority on the subject of sexuality and relationships. She wrote the column "Sex and Health" for Glamour magazine for seven years. She has appeared on such television programs as The Oprah Winfrey Show, Dateline, and Dr. Phil, as well as on programs for the cable television network Lifetime. She was the 2005 president of the Pacific Sociological Association, helped create the dating web site Perfectmatch.com, and is a sexuality adviser for WebMD.
Schwartz is a past president of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality and a charter member of the International Academy of Sex Research. The book jacket for her 2007 publication Prime: Adventures and Advice on Sex, Love, and the Sensual Years described her living "in Washington State, being single after a 23 year marriage, and having two children in college". As of 2007, she is a tenured professor at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington.
Research by Schwartz and others surveying lesbian sexuality has generated debates because the surveys stated that lesbian couples in long-term relationships have less sex than their heterosexual or gay male counterparts. The phenomenon was labeled "Lesbian bed death". One factor in this debate is the problem of defining acts of "sex" in surveys.
- Sex and the Yale Student, with Richard Feller, Elaine Fox, and Dr. Philip Sarrel Feller (The Committee on Human Sexuality, Yale University, 1970)
- The Student Guide to Sex on Campus, by the Student Committee on Human Sexuality at Yale, edited by Richard Feller, Elaine Fox, and Pepper Schwartz (Signet Books, 1971)
- Women at Yale: Liberating a College Campus, with Janet Lever (Bobbs-Merrill Company, 1971)
- American Couples, with Philip Blumstein (William Morrow, 1983)
- Gender in Intimate Relationships: A Micro-Structural Approach, with Barbara J. Risman (Wadsworth Publishing Company, 1988) ISBN 0-534-09690-5, ISBN 978-0-534-09690-8
- Everything You Know About Love and Sex Is Wrong (Perigee Trade, 1991 reissue) ISBN 0-399-52712-5, ISBN 978-0-399-52712-8
- Peer Marriage (The Free Press, 1994) ISBN 0-7432-5407-4
- Love Between Equals: How Peer Marriage Really Works (Touchstone, 1995) ISBN 0-02-874061-0, ISBN 978-0-02-874061-4
- The Gender of Sexuality: Exploring Sexual Possibilities (The Gender Lens series), with Virginia Rutter (AltaMira Press, 1998) ISBN 0-8039-9042-1, ISBN 978-0-8039-9042-5
- The Great Sex Weekend: A 48-hour Guide to Rekindling Sparks for Bold, Busy, or Bored Lovers, with Janet Lever (Perigee Trade, 2000) ISBN 0-399-52571-8, ISBN 978-0-399-52571-1
- Ten Talks Parents Must Have with their Children About Sex and Character, with Dominic Cappello (Hyperion Books, 2000) ISBN 0-7868-8548-3, ISBN 978-0-7868-8548-0)
- 201 Questions to Ask Your Kids: 201 Questions to Ask Your Parents (Collins, 2000) ISBN 0-380-80525-1, ISBN 978-0-380-80525-9
- The Lifetime Love and Sex Quiz Book (Hyperion Books, 2002) ISBN 0-7868-8748-6, ISBN 978-0-7868-8748-4
- Schwartz, Pepper (2006). Finding your perfect match. Perigee Trade. ISBN 978-0-399-53244-3.
- Prime: Advice and Adventures on Sex, Love and the Sensuous Years (Collins, 2007) ISBN 0-06-117358-4. ISBN 978-0-06-117358-5)
- 'Pepper Schwartz AARP Love & Relationship Ambassador'
- 'The Naked Truth'
- 'Ask Pepper Schwartz'
- Iasenza, Suzanne (November 9, 2001). "the big lie: lesbian bed death". fridae.com. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
||This biographical biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2007)|
- Web page at the University of Washington
- Pepper Schwartz at the Internet Movie Database
- NBC's Science of Love: A Modern Dating Experiment Reviewed
- Pepper Schwartz' "Sex Matters" blog at MedHelp