Per Åhlin about 1966
7 August 1931 |
|Occupation||Film director, artist|
|Years active||1964 -|
Per Johan Axel Åhlin (born 7 August 1931) is a Swedish artist and director of animated films. He is known for his collaborations with the comedy due Hasseåtage, and for his own projects such as the feature film The Journey to Melonia.
Åhlin started his career as an artist for the Hasseåtage production Svenska bilder from 1964. After that he has worked on several other Hasseåtage films, including the largely animated Out of an Old Man's Head from 1968, and The Adventures of Picasso from 1978, where he provided and animated Picasso's paintings. In 1970 he started his own animation studio, PennFilm Studio AB situated in Hököpinge, and has, as of 2009, directed eight feature-length films and several shorts, including Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton which is shown on television every Christmas Eve in Sweden, Norway and Finland
Although eventually best known for his work on children's film, Åhlin was always more interested in films for adult audiences. He has commented on the difficulties of making animated films with adult themes: "I don't know whether the problem lies in the audience or the marketing. But think like this: if you draw like Picasso, Doré or Sergel, then those are images that have no connection to film. If they then would be animated and suddenly started to move - would they become children's film then? I can't understand this!"
- Out of an Old Man's Head (I huvet på en gammal gubbe) (1968)
- Dunderklumpen! (1974)
- Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton (1975) short film
- The Journey to Melonia (Resan till Melonia) (1989)
- The Dog Hotel (Hundhotellet) (2000)
- Draft:Little Anna and the Tall Uncle (film) (2012)
- Draft:That Boy Emil (film) (2013)
Åhlin has developed several films which have never been finished due to lack of funding or interested producers. His personal dream project, which has been in development since 1992, is the feature film Hoffmanns ögon ("Hoffmann's eyes"), which is based on Jacques Offenbach's opera The Tales of Hoffmann. As of 2009, Åhlin said that he still occasionally works on the project on his own: "Hopefully it can become a few minutes which can give potential producers remorse in the future". Other unfinished films include Den magiska saxofonen ("The magic saxophone"), HC Andersen, and an adaptation of Eric Linklater's The Wind on the Moon, with a screenplay by Ulf Stark. Designs and other finished material from these projects have been exhibited multiple times at events in Sweden.
- "Dunderklumpen (1974)". Swedish Film Institute. 5 March 2014.
- "Per Åhlin". Swedish Film Institute. 16 March 2014.
- "En legend på undantag?" (PDF) (in Swedish) Swedish Film Institute. Retrieved on 18 February 2009.
- "Per Ahlin". nordische-kinderfilme.luebeck.de. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- Augustin Palm, Erik (2009-11-19). "40 år av animerade klassiker". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 2012-04-02.
Förhoppningsvis kan det bli några minuter som kan ge presumtiva producenter dåligt samvete i framtiden.
- Gustafsson, Annika (2007-12-23). "Snövit visade vägen till filmen". Sydsvenskan (in Swedish). Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- PennFilm Studio AB (Swedish)
- Per Åhlin at the Internet Movie Database
- Per Åhlin at the Swedish Film Database