Per Il Volo Miniplane
|Manufacturer||Per Il Volo|
Design and development
The aircraft was designed as a light weight paramotor, giving due consideration to the fact that the pilot has to wear the engine on his or her back and run with it for take-off. It features a paraglider-style high-wing, single-place accommodation and a single Per Il Volo Top 80 13 hp (10 kW) engine in pusher configuration. As is the case with all paramotors, take-off and landing is accomplished by foot.
To keep the design as light as possible a simple harness is used. The single cylinder, two-stroke, fan-cooled aircraft engine incorporates some unique features that make it especially suitable for its role. Its reduction gearbox results in the engine and propeller turning in different directions, thereby reducing the resulting torque absorbed by the pilot. The engine also incorporates a centrifugal clutch that allows the engine to idle without the propeller turning, which improves safety during canopy inflation and launch, as well as landing.
- Miniplane 115
- Version with smaller propeller with a diameter of 115 cm (3.77 ft).
- Miniplane 125
- Version with larger propeller with a diameter of 125 cm (4.10 ft).
Specifications (Miniplane 125)
- Crew: one
- Empty weight: 17 kg (37 lb)
- Gross weight: 113 kg (250 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 L; 1.7 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Per Il Volo Top 80 single cylinder, two-stroke, fan-cooled, 80cc aircraft engine with reduction gear box in rations from 3.18 to 4.41:1, 9.7 kW (13 hp)
- Propellers: 2-bladed wooden, 1.25 m (4 ft 1 in) diameter
- Cruise speed: 32 km/h; 17 kn (20 mph)
- Rate of climb: 2.0 m/s (400 ft/min)
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page D-22. Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 73. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster UK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Per Il Volo (n.d.). "Miniplane". Retrieved 1 April 2012.