Per aspera ad astra
Per aspera ad astra or Ad astra per aspera is a Latin phrase which means any of the following: "Through hardships to the stars", "A rough road leads to the stars" or "To the stars through difficulties". The phrase is one of many Latin sayings which use the expression Ad astra.
- 1 Uses
- 1.1 Literature
- 1.2 Music
- 1.3 Educational and Research Institutions
- 1.3.1 United States
- 1.3.2 United Kingdom
- 1.3.3 Australia
- 1.3.4 Ecuador
- 1.3.5 Estonia
- 1.3.6 Honduras
- 1.3.7 India
- 1.3.8 Jamaica
- 1.3.9 Maldives
- 1.3.10 New Zealand
- 1.3.11 Norway
- 1.3.12 Pakistan
- 1.3.13 Romania
- 1.3.14 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- 1.3.15 Slovakia
- 1.3.16 Slovenia
- 1.3.17 South Africa
- 1.3.18 Sri Lanka
- 1.3.19 Ukraine
- 1.4 Political entities
- 1.5 Military and Government
- 1.6 Fraternities and sororities
- 1.7 Popular culture
- 1.8 Others
- 2 See also
- 3 References
Various organizations and groups use this expression and its variants.
- In Hermann Hesse's Beneath the Wheel, the headmaster of Maulbronn says this to Lucius for his futile efforts towards music.
- Title of a play depicting the history of the fictional Maycomb County in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, in which the translation is given as from the mud to the stars.
- In James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, the dean of studies of Trinity College, Dublin, uses this phrase with Stephen Dedalus when discussing whether or not Stephen will eventually show enough artistic talent to provide the college an answer to the "esthetic question".
- The title of a song by Haggard (band) from their Eppur Si Muove album.
- The subtitle of Sergei Bortkiewicz's 3rd piano concerto.
- The subtitle of Moritz Moszkowski's set of fifteen Études de Virtuosité for piano, op. 72 (published 1903).
- The title of the first Album by Kansas Bible Company
- The title of a piece by Greek composer Panayiotis Demopoulos for harp and percussion (2012).
- The Pee Wee Gaskins's album entitled "Ad Astra Per Aspera" and one instrumental in it called "To The Stars With All We've Got".
Educational and Research Institutions
- California State University East Bay, Hayward, California
- Campbell University, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- Cornelia Strong College, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, North Carolina
- Greenhill School, Dallas, Texas
- Saint Joseph Academy, Brownsville, Texas
- Lake View High School, Chicago, Illinois
- Lyndon Institute, Lyndon Center, Vermont
- Macopin Middle School, West Milford, New Jersey
- Miami Central High School, Miami, Florida
- Mirman School, Los Angeles, California
- Morristown-Beard School, Morristown, New Jersey
- Mount Saint Michael Academy, Bronx, New York
- Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, New Jersey
- Trinity Prep, Winter Park, Florida
- University High School, Fresno, California
- University of Tennessee Space Institute, Tullahoma, Tennessee
- Colfe's School, Greenwich, London
- Mayfield Grammar School, Gravesend, Kent
- Dr. Challoner's Grammar School, Amersham, Buckinghamshire
- Queenwood Girls School, Mosman NSW
- Woodville High School, Adelaide
- Albury High School, Albury, New South Wales
- Girton Grammar School, Bendigo, Victoria
- Instituto Nacional Mejía,Quito, Ecuador.
- Escuela Nacional de Música, Tegucigalpa
- St.Augustine's High School, kalimpong, District:Darjeeling, India
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), New Delhi, India.
- Immaculate Conception High School, St. Andrew
- Mount Alvernia High School, Montego Bay
- MNDF Fire and Rescue Services Training School, K.Viligili
- Stavanger Cathedral School, Stavanger
- Sortland videregående skole, Nordland
- St Patrick's High School, Karachi
- Mihai Eminescu High School, Suceava
- Colegiul National "Andrei Saguna" Brasov
- Colegiul National "Doamna Stanca" Fagaras
- Alexandru Papiu Ilarian High School, Targu-Mures
- Andrei Mureşanu High School, Bistrița
- Márton Áron Gimnázium, Csíkszereda (Liceul Teoretic "Márton Áron", Miercurea-Ciuc)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Faculty of Informatics and Information Technologies of Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
- Prva Gimnazija, Maribor
- St. Paul's Girls' School, Milagiriya, Colombo District, Western Province
- State of Kansas (Ad astra per aspera)
- Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- City of Gouda, Netherlands, in the city crest (Wapen van Gouda, in Dutch)
- City of Embu-Guaçu, Brazil
- Town of Coalhurst, Alberta
Military and Government
- National Defence Academy of Latvia
- Spanish Air Force
- South African Air Force
- Military Technical Academy in Bucharest, Romania
- Quinto Grupo de Caza (5th Fighter Squadron), Argentine Air Force
- Department of Civil Aviation, Thailand
- Trenton Air Cadet Training Centre in Trenton, Ontario, Canada
- Navy Special Warfare Group, EAM, United States-ST10-1X0C
Fraternities and sororities
- Beta Sigma Psi National Lutheran Fraternity
- Sigma Gamma Phi – Arethusa Sorority
- Korp! Amicitia – Estonian student sorority.
- Freemasons-Knight's Templar, 32nd Degree
- Per aspera ad astra is a Soviet Russian science fiction film by Richard Viktorov, written by Kir Bulychov.
- Rip Torn says this phrase to David Bowie in the film The Man Who Fell to Earth.
- Tomo Milicevic, of the band 30 Seconds to Mars, has a tattoo on his right forearm reading 'per aspera et astra', with the band's logo in the background in red.
- Popular Filipino comic writer Pol Medina, Jr. of Pugad Baboy fame
- Aspera! Per aspera! Per ardua! Ad astra! is the refrain of the song "Aspera" by Erin McKeown on the album We Will Become Like Birds.
- At the end of the credits of a Half-Life 2 mod called Riot Act
- "Ad astra per aspera" replaces the name of a formerly deceased character on the memorial wall in the Mass Effect 3 "Happy Ending" mod, as seen in the mod's trailer.
- Said by Neil Patrick Harris in episode 18, season 4 of the TV show, Doogie Howser, M.D.
- Title of a play depicting the history of the fictional Maycomb County in To Kill a Mockingbird, in which the translation is given as from the mud to the stars.
- Title of a song by Haggard, from the album Eppur Si Muove.
- The name of an album by Abandon Kansas.
- A line from the song "On Thin Ice" by Evereve, from the album Tried and Failed.
- It is one of many hidden messages in the 2009 video game The Conduit.
- Motto of the Martian Imperial Commandos in Kurt Vonnegut novel, The Sirens of Titan.
- Title of a song by Seattle based band Acceptance.
- Title of a song by Goasia, appearing on the album From Other Spaces (Suntrip records, 2007)
- Appears on right side shoulder patch in Star Trek Enterprise, on the "newer" uniform style shown on the series finale.
- The name of an album by Stars of the Lid
- The official motto of Solforce in the videogame Sword of the Stars.
- Title of a song by the band Spiritual Beggars from their album Ad Astra.
- Title of a song by the band Die Apokalyptischen Reiter from their album Samurai.
- The quote from Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- The final mission (Chapter 15) in the Mafia II video game
- Line in the Answer Page song Sunflower
- In a tattoo piece in The Raven
- The name of an album by Estonian band Põhja-Tallinn
- Pall Mall Cigarette Pack
- Phrase has been spoofed slightly by the band Ghost in the song "Per Aspera Ad Inferi" from their album Infestissumam literally meaning "Through hardships to hell."
- Used at the end of Bungie's "O Brave New World" vidoc after the final installment of Halo.
- A plaque honoring the astronauts of Apollo 1 at the launch site where they perished.
- Inscribed on the crest of Pall Mall cigarettes packages
- The theme of "POR CC XXI" by Kolese Kanisius Jakarta
- Per ardua ad astra ("Through adversity to the stars")
- Per ardua ad astra, additional uses with reference to above article
- Ad astra per aspera, additional uses
- Per aspera ad astra, references this article
- "California State University East Bay". Csueastbay.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Campbell University: General Information[dead link]
- Greenhill School: Statement of Philosophy
- "Stevens Institute of Technology: About Stevens". Stevens.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Trinity Prep School: myTPS Portal". Trinityprep.org. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Albury High School". Albury-h.schools.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Keila-Joa Boarding School". Keila-joa.edu.ee. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Colegiul Național Mihai Eminescu". cn-eminescu.ro. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Colegiul Naţional "Andrei Şaguna", Braşov". Saguna.ro. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Colegiul Naţional "Doamna Stanca", Braşov". Doamnastanca.ro. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Colegiul Naţional Alexandru Papiu Ilarian". Papiu.ro. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Colegiul Național Andrei Mureșanu". Cnam.ro. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Pietersburg Hoerskool". Pieties.co.za. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "The Great Seal of Kansas". Governor.ks.gov. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Decorations of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- "The South African Air Force Emblems". Saairforce.co.za. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Academia Tehnica Militara". Mta.ro. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Department of Civil Aviation Emblems[dead link]
- "Beta Sigma Psi 2006 National Convention, see page header". Convention.betasigmapsi.org. 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Sigma Gamma Phi at SUNY Oneonta". Oneonta.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Mass Effect 3: Official MEHEM trailer". Youtube.com. 2012-12-09. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Ghost B.C. Store". Myplaydirect.com. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "A Nameless Ghoul From Ghost B.C. Speaks About ‘Infestissumam,’ the Devil + More". Loudwire. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Pall Mall". History of Cigarette Brands. Retrieved 2013-12-21.