Percy L. Greaves, Jr.
Greaves was born in Brooklyn, New York, on August 24, 1906. He received a B.S. degree, magna cum laude, from the Syracuse University School of Business Administration. He was a graduate student studying economics at Columbia University and New York University. He was financial editor and research economist for the United States News 1934–1936. He resigned to take an executive job in Paris; he traveled widely in Europe until returning to the U.S. in 1938. He directed research and survey activities for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and did extensive political research.
From 1943 to 1945, Greaves was Research Director for the Republican National Committee. Greaves served as Chief of Minority Staff for the 1945–1946 "Joint Congressional Investigation of the Pearl Harbor Attack".
He authored several books on economics, including Understanding the Dollar Crisis (1973) and Mises Made Easier (1974). Greaves was a long-time associate and friend of Ludwig von Mises, regularly attending his seminars. Greaves was also a seminar speaker for the Foundation for Economic Education. Greaves served on the Institute for Historical Review (IHR) Editorial Advisory Committee, and frequently wrote for IHR's The Journal of Historical Review, generally about Pearl Harbor revisionism.
Greaves was nominated as the 1980 presidential candidate for the American Party, with Frank L. Varnum as his running mate. They received 6,648 votes. The state parties of Kansas and Minnesota were unhappy with Greaves' moderate stance on abortion and put anti-Greaves tickets on their ballot lines, winning 1,555 and 6,136 votes respectively. Greaves had also sought the nomination of the American Independent Party, but was defeated by former Congressman John R. Rarick.
Greaves died of cancer on August 13, 1984. He was survived by his wife, three children, and seven grandchildren.
- Barnes, Harry Elmer. Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace. Caldwell, Idaho: The Caxton Printers, Ltd, 1953. Biographical information on page 408.
- Greaves, Jr., Percy L. "Does Government Spending Bring Prosperity?". Mises Daily.
- Overview of the Percy L. Greaves Papers. Online Archive of California.
- Our Campaigns: American Party 1980
- Greaves, Jr., Percy L. Pearl Harbor: The Seeds and Fruits of Infamy. Ed. Bettina B. Greaves. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2010.