Perfect Strangers (album)
|Studio album by Deep Purple|
|Released||29 October 1984|
|Recorded||August 1984 at "Horizons" in Stowe, Vermont, USA|
|Length||39:28 (Original LP)
44:13 (Original CD)
54:15 (1999 CD re-issue)
Mercury Records (US)
& Deep Purple
|Deep Purple chronology|
Perfect Strangers is the eleventh studio album by Deep Purple, released in October 1984. It represents the first album recorded by the reformed (as well as the most successful and popular), 'Mark II' line-up.
It was the first Deep Purple studio album in nine years, and the first with the Mk II line-up for eleven years, the last being Who Do We Think We Are in 1973. Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover arrived from Rainbow, Ian Gillan from Black Sabbath, Jon Lord from Whitesnake, and Ian Paice from Gary Moore's backing band.
The CD and cassette versions of the album contained the extra track "Not Responsible" (one of few Deep Purple songs with profane lyrics, as the word "fucking" can be heard in the song). The album was remastered and reissued on 22 June 1999 with the bonus instrumental track "Son of Alerik". The latter had previously been available as a B-side on "Perfect Strangers" in 1984.
The tour was so successful that the band had to add many additional dates to the US arena tour, as tickets sold out very quickly. Their US tour in 1985 out-grossed every artist that year except Bruce Springsteen.
Deborah Frost of Rolling Stone gave it a review of two out of five stars, remarking that "the material consists of hastily knocked-off jams". The review also stated that "Blackmore's Strat has such a great roar that you're willing to just let it reverberate in your eardrums for a bit. And it's nice to hear Jon Lord's synthesized organ squalls, Ian Paice's electrifying drumming, Ian Gillan's howls and whispers and Roger Glover's solid bass lines once again."
All songs by Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan and Roger Glover except where noted. "Not Responsible" was originally cassette and CD only, not on vinyl LP. "Son of Alerik" was not on original cassette, vinyl or CD release; used as an edited 7" B-side, or full version on the 12" of the "Perfect Strangers" single.
|1.||"Knocking at Your Back Door"||7:09|
|2.||"Under the Gun"||4:40|
|3.||"Nobody's Home" (Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Jon Lord, Ian Paice)||4:01|
|6.||"A Gypsy's Kiss"||5:14|
|CD Bonus Track|
|1999 CD Bonus Track|
|10.||"Son of Alerik" (Blackmore)||10:01|
- Ritchie Blackmore – guitar
- Jon Lord – organ, keyboards
- Ian Paice – drums
- Ian Gillan – vocals
- Roger Glover – bass, synthesizer
- Recorded at "Horizons", Stowe, Vermont with Le Mobile Studio, 1984
- Mixed at Tennessee Tonstudio, Hamburg, Germany
- Engineered by Nick Blagona
- Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, New York
- Produced by Roger Glover and Deep Purple
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|Kerrang!||United Kingdom||"End of Year Lists – Top Album of 1984"||1984||7|
(*) designates unordered lists.
- Review by Allmusic
- Jon Lord Interview at www.thehighwaystar.com
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Albumn Review. Rolling Stone. Originally written 28 February 1985.
- "Media Control Charts – Perfect Strangers".
- "VG-lista album info: Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers". Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- "Official Charts – Deep Purple chart positions".
- "Billboard album chart history-Deep Purple". Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- "Billboard singles chart history-Deep Purple". Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- "Argentinian album certifications – Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "Canadian album certifications – Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers". Music Canada.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Deep Purple; 'Perfect Strangers')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "British album certifications – Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Perfect Strangers in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Rock Albums "Kerrang – End of Year Lists – Top Album of 1984". Kerrang. Retrieved 10 February 2009.