Interior of Perimeter Mall
|Location||Dunwoody, Georgia, USA|
|Management||General Growth Properties|
|Owner||General Growth Properties|
|No. of stores and services||200|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,560,000 sq ft (145,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||2 (anchors have 3)|
Perimeter Mall is an upscale super-regional shopping mall in Dunwoody, Georgia, just north of Atlanta, near the highway interchange of Interstate 285 (the Perimeter, for which the mall was named) and Georgia 400.
It is at the heart of Perimeter Center, a modern edge city and neighborhood of high-rise office buildings, condos, restaurants, and shopping which spans the DeKalb/Fulton county line (just a few yards or meters to the west) into the city of Sandy Springs. The mall has a gross leasable area of 1,554,288 square feet (145,000 m²). This makes Perimeter the second-largest shopping mall in the state of Georgia. Only the Mall of Georgia in Gwinnett County is larger.
It is served by MARTA's Dunwoody station, which opened at the southwest corner of its parking lot in 1996. Today, the mall has over 200 stores and 4 major stores include Von Maur, Dillard's, Macy's, and Nordstrom, and is managed and owned by General Growth Properties.
Perimeter Mall opened in 1971 and was the fourth mall to open in DeKalb County, after Columbia Mall in 1964, North DeKalb Mall in 1965, and South DeKalb Mall in 1968. Its original anchor stores were Rich's and JC Penney, which made it very similar in design and layout to Greenbriar Mall. Perimeter Mall was the first mall in metro Atlanta to be located outside of I-285.
Expansions and renovations
The mall was expanded in 1982 to add an additional wing that included a Davison's. This gave the mall a T shape. It was renovated in 1993, 1997 again in 2000 and 2015 and 2016 Initial work, which should be complete by the holiday season, will focus on improving the interior of Perimeter Mall in the wing that includes Nordstrom and Von Maur department stores.
Upgrades will include new ceramic flooring, new lighting, modern seating areas, updated restrooms and new signage. Some of what will be replaced is the mall's original 70s decor.
"The direction we are headed is more modern and upscale," said Latesha Lynch, marketing manager for GGP's Atlanta and Macon properties. "We really want to brighten up the mall this year."
Phase two of the renovation should kick off in January 2016 and will focus on interior improvements in the wing of the mall that includes Dillard's and Macy's.The last renovation at Perimeter was a major overhaul of its food court in 2013. In 1998, Nordstrom's first Georgia location was opened. JC Penney left the mall around 2002, and the store was demolished to make way for a new Dillard's, which opened in 2005.
Perimeter Mall is different from other shopping malls in Atlanta in that the front side of the mall includes an area for open-air shops, upscale restaurants, and salons, connected by gardens and paths. It also features valet parking. On January 4, 2012, Bloomingdale's announced that it would be closing its Perimeter location. Less than 24 hours later, Von Maur announced that it would be taking over the space and setting up its second location in Georgia at the mall.
- Dillard's (Former JCPenney location)
- Macy's (Former Rich's location)
- Nordstrom (Built with expansion wing in 1998)
- Von Maur (Opened 2012 in former Bloomingdale's and Davison's location)
- Bloomingdale's (closing in March 2012, to be converted to Von Maur.)
- JCPenney (closed 2002, demolished for Dillard's in 2005 )
- Rich's ( converted to Macy's in 2005 )
- Davison's (Built in 1982 expansion; Converted to Macy's, then converted to Bloomingdale's, in 2012 it became Von Maur )
- Macy's (Former Davison's, converted to Bloomingdale's in 2003 and Von Maur in 2012)
- Shopping Center Definitions for the U.S., International Council of Shopping Centers, Information accurate as of 2004. Accessed October 31, 2007.
- Perimeter Mall, International Council of Shopping Centers. Accessed October 31, 2007.
- "Company History". General Growth Properties. Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- *"On the move: As competition in the area heats up, Perimeter Mall announces a renovation geared toward attracting nightlife". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 1996-09-06. Retrieved 2007-10-31.