|Headquarters||1201 Third Avenue
|No. of offices||19|
|No. of attorneys||1000+|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Revenue||US$424 million (2009)|
|Date founded||1912 (Seattle)|
Perkins Coie is an international law firm headquartered in Seattle, Washington and founded in 1912.
Perkins Coie is an international law firm headquartered in Seattle, Washington. It has been listed on the Fortune Magazine "100 Best Places to Work in America" for the past 13 years, and is ranked number 49 on the AmLaw 100 list. Perkins Coie is the oldest and largest law firm headquartered in the Pacific Northwest and has a total of 19 offices across the United States and Asia. It works in Intellectual Property, Venture Capital, Emerging Companies, Labor & Employment, Corporate Governance and Securities, Investigations and White Collar Defense, and Products Liability practices. Perkins Coie provides corporate, commercial litigation and intellectual property legal services to clients who range from FORTUNE 100 corporations to small, independent startups, as well as public and not-for-profit organizations.
Additionally, Chambers regularly ranks Perkins Coie's Political Law practice first in the United States. The firm is counsel of record for the Democratic National Committee, and other political clients include nearly all Democratic members of the United States Congress, as well as several presidential campaigns, including those of John Kerry and Barack Obama. In 2009, President Obama appointed Robert Bauer, the chair of the firm's Political Law practice, to become his White House Counsel. Bauer returned to private practice with Perkins Coie in 2011. In 2015, Hilary Clinton named Marc Elias as general counsel to her campaign.
Living alumni of the firm include former Attorney General of Washington State Rob McKenna, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Judges Margaret McKeown and Ronald M. Gould, Washington State Representative Cyrus Habib, and Oregon State Representative Chris Garrett.
Mandates and Representations
The firm was founded in 1912 and has represented Boeing Company since the founding of the aerospace company in 1916. Other clients include Microsoft, Amazon.com, Starbucks, Costco, Craigslist, Google, Facebook, Intel, Twitter, AT&T, Zillow, REI, Intellectual Ventures, UPS, Barack Obama, Expedia, Safeco, T-Mobile, Dale Chihuly, Quora and Nintendo.
Perkins Coie also serves as counsel of record for the Democratic Party and its candidates; its political law group was for many years headed by campaign lawyer Bob Bauer, and is now chaired by Marc Elias. Perkins Coie represented John Kerry's presidential campaign and the Presidential campaign of Barack Obama, and continues to represent President Obama. The firm represented Christine Gregoire in the prolonged litigation surrounding her 2004 Washington gubernatorial election, and a team of Perkins lawyers headed by Marc Elias successfully represented Al Franken in his legal battle over the 2008 Senatorial election in Minnesota. The firm also represents the Democratic Leadership Council, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
In 2006, Perkins Coie, led by partner Harry Schneider, represented Salim Ahmed Hamdan, the alleged driver and bodyguard of Osama Bin Laden. The case made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, in which the Court ruled that the Bush Administration's use of military commissions to try terrorism suspects was unconstitutional.
Perkins worked in the Doe v. Reed case concerning petition signatures in state ballot initiative campaigns, which was argued successfully before the U.S. Supreme Court on April 28, 2010.
Recognition and Rankings
- Ranked #19 among the top 25 corporate law firms by NYSE Governance Services (2015)
- Ranked #42 on the American Lawyer 100 list (2015)
- Listed on FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 13 consecutive years (2003 - 2015); ranked by FORTUNE as third best female-friendly company in U.S. (2015)
- Ranked as a leading firm in Chambers USA with 128 attorneys listed in 10 key markets across the country. The firm received Band 1 rankings (2015) in 20 practice areas.
- 207 lawyers named among the "Best Lawyers in America" (2014)
- 14th largest law firm, by attorney headcount, in the U.S. (Law360, 2015)
- Earned the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's top rating of 100 percent in the Corporate Equality Index (2009 - 2015)
- Gold Standard Certificate from Women in Law Empowerment Forum (2011 - 2014)
- Received ABA’s inaugural Champions for Disability Inclusion in the Legal Profession Award 2014
- http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTAL.jsp?id=1202430111960 AM Law 100 Gross Revenue