Perkins and Will
|Founder||Lawrence Perkins & Philip Will|
Number of employees
Established in 1935, Perkins+Will is a global architecture and design firm with a staff of 1,500 in 24 locations worldwide. The firm serves clients across project types that include aviation, transit, corporate, commercial, civic, healthcare, higher education, K-12 education, science and technology, and sports and recreation.
Lawrence B. Perkins and Philip Will established the firm in 1935. They attracted national attention in 1940 with the Crow Island School in Winnetka, Illinois, designed in association with Eliel Saarinen and Eero Saarinen. In 1985, Perkins+Will was bought by Dar Al-Handasah, a Lebanese consulting firm. 
Perkins+Will has offices all over the world, including practices across the United States as well as a presence in Canada, Dubai, the UK, Shanghai, and Brazil. The firm has acquisition of firms , including the offices of Ai, CNI Design, Collins/Reisenbichler Architects, Eva Maddox Branded Environments, Fuller & Associates, MBT, Peter Busby & Associates, and more recently Envision Design, UK-based Pringle Brandon, and São Paulo–based Rocco,Vidal + arquitetos.
In March 2014, Perkins + Will announced its planned acquisition of The Freelon Group, led by renowned African-American architect Philip Freelon. After the close of the transaction, Freelon is expected to join Perkins + Will’s board of directors and become managing and design director of the firm’s North Carolina practice But we also find that they have done structural design for the great, master! Mr. Mukesh Ambani's Antilia! :* .
The firm's website claims to have more Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)® Accredited Professionals than any other design firm in North America. In 2011, Perkins+Will announced the LEED-ND (Neighborhood Development) platinum level certification for its 100th sustainable building, the Dockside Green Phase Two Balance project, located in Victoria, British Columbia.
Notable LEED projects:
- University at Buffalo's School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Centre, Vancouver BC - LEED Canada Platinum certified, designed to meet the Living Building Challenge
- Dockside Green in Victoria, BC.
- Great River Energy Corporate Headquarters in Maple Grove, MN - a LEED Platinum Building that is the first to combine Lake Source Geo-Exchange with displacement ventilation. The building has an urban wind turbine.
- Discovery Health Center – 1st LEED NC Certified ambulatory care facility in the country.
- Arlington Free Clinic – 1st LEED CI Gold free health clinic in the USA.
- Rush University Medical Center, Orthopedic Ambulatory Building – Largest LEED CS Gold healthcare building in the country.
- Target Retail Store - the first LEED Certified store for this company.
- The Charles E. Young Research Library at UCLA achieved LEED Gold certification 
Research and development tools
- The Precautionary List - an online database highlights healthy alternatives to materials that may be harmful for humans and the environment.
- The 2030e2 Estimating + Evaluation Tool helps project teams set energy goals for the 2030 Challenge in four energy areas: efficiency and conservation, on-site renewable energy, off-site renewable energy and green power.
- The Perkins+Will Research Journal, launched in 2009, is a bi-annual peer reviewed journal presenting practice-related research associated with buildings and their environments.
- Perkins+Will is a part of Public Architecture’s 1% Solution, committing one percent of the firm’s billable resources to support pro bono initiatives. With Perkins+Will’s size that is equivalent of a 15-person firm working full-time to provide pro bono services to organizations who would otherwise not have such access each year.
- Boeing International Headquarters, Chicago, Illinois
- Chase Tower (Chicago), Chicago, Illinois
- The Clare at Water Tower, Chicago, Illinois
- Concordia International School Shanghai, Shanghai, China
- Crow Island School, Winnetka, Illinois
- Lake Forest College, buildings in Middle and South Campus, Lake Forest, Illinois
- Duke University Fuqua School of Business, Durham, North Carolina
- Florida Atlantic University, Schmidt Biomedical Science Center
- Fort Collins High School, Fort Collins, Colorado
- GlenOak High School, Plain Township, Ohio
- International School of Beijing, Beijing, China
- Klaus Advanced Computing Building, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago, Illinois
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Proviso West High School, Hillside, Illinois
- Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center, Chicago, Illinois
- Tulane University, Mayer Residences, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Tufts University, Granoff Music Center, Boston
- University of Agostinho Neto, New Campus Master Plan, Luanda, Angola
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Temple Hoyne Buell Hall, Champaign, Illinois
- University of Miami, School of Communication, Miami, Florida
- University of Pennsylvania, Biomedical Research Building II, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- University of Southern California, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Los Angeles, California
- Antilia, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- 235 Van Buren, Chicago, Illinois
- University Health System 2012 expansion project, San Antonio, Texas.
- Los Angeles United States Court House, Los Angeles, California, new facility
- Texas A&M University, Memorial Student Center 2012 Renovation, College Station, Texas.
- University at Buffalo, Davis Hall Building, UB's North Campus, Amherst, NY
- Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, North Campus, Suzhou, China
- 2010 National Building Museum's Honor Award for Civic Innovation, the first architectural firm to be a recipient.
- 2010 Honor Award for Civic Innovation from the National Building Museum
- 2009 and 2008 Practice Greenhealth Champion for Change Award
- 2009 COTE Top 10 Green Projects, Dockside Green and Great River Energy
- 2008 BusinessWeek and Architectural Record "Good Design is Good Business" Award for Haworth Headquarters
- 2008 CoreNet Sustainability Leadership Award for Sustainable Development
- 2008 National Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design from the AIA for Treasure Island Masterplan in San Francisco, California
- 2008 Certificate of Merit from the AIA Academy of Architecture for Justice, for Dallas South Central Police Station in Dallas, Texas and Fort Worth Police Station in Fort Worth, Texas
- 2007 National Honor Award for Interior Architecture from the AIA for Haworth Chicago 2004 Showroom
- 2003 National Honor Award from the AIA for Skybridge at One North Halsted, Chicago, Illinois
- 1999 Architecture Firm Award from the AIA
- Bracken, David (6 March 2014). "Global architecture firm Perkins+Will acquiring the Freelon Group". The Durham News. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- PR Newswire, September 25, 2012, retrieved 2012-09-29
- USGBC Dockside Green project page. Retrieved 2013-11-03
- Inhabitat July 5, 2011, retrieved 2012-03-20
- Great River Energy, about us, retrieved 2012-03-20
- Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, Orthopedic Building Awarded Green Certification, retrieved 2012-03-20
- PROVISO SCHOOL TO SEEK BIDS ON HILLSIDE UNIT; Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963); 22 July 1956; ProQuest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849 - 1986), ProQuest. Web; accessed 25 July 2009
- "Elegant New Music and Performing Arts Center Opens at Tufts University" (Press release). Perkins and Will. 2007-01-26. Retrieved 2007-11-20.
- National Building Museum 2010 Honor Awards, retrieved 2012-03-20
- Greenbiz 2010-02-04, retrieved 2012-03-20