|Traded as||Euronext: RI|
|Key people||Danièle Ricard (Chairwoman), Pierre Pringuet (CEO), Alexandre Ricard (Deputy CEO and Director)|
|Revenue||€7.643 billion (2010/2011)|
|Operating income||€1.852 billion (2010/2011)|
|Profit||€1.045 billion (2010/2011)|
|Total assets||€25.70 billion (June 2011)|
|Total equity||€9.474 billion (June 2011)|
|Employees||18,230 (June 2011)|
Pernod Ricard is a French company that produces distilled beverages. The company's eponymous products, Pernod Anise and Ricard Pastis, are both anise-flavoured liqueurs and are often referred to simply as Pernod or Ricard. The company also produces several other types of pastis.
- 1797 - Henri-Louis Pernod opened his first absinthe distillery in Switzerland.
- 1805 – Maison Pernod Fils (simply known as Pernod Fils) was founded in Pontarlier, Franche-Comté in eastern France by Henri-Louis Pernod, a French distiller of Francophone Swiss origin, and started the production of the anise-flavored liquor known as absinthe.
- 1850 - Henri-Louis Pernod died.
- 1871 – Distillerie Hémard was founded near Paris.
- 1872 – Société Pernod Père & Fils opened in Avignon.
- 1915 – Production and consumption of absinthe was prohibited in France.
- 1926 – All 3 distilleries merged to form Les Établissements Pernod.
- 1951 – Pastis 51 was launched.
- 1965 – Takeover of Distillerie Rousseau, Laurens et Moureaux, producer of the Suze liquor since 1889.
- 1932 – Ricard, which soon became France's favourite long drink, was founded in Marseille by Paul Ricard.
- 1940 – Production of pastis was prohibited by the Vichy regime.
- 1944 – Production of pastis became legal again.
- 1968 – Paul Ricard retired; his son Patrick became CEO in 1978.
- 1975 – Old rivals Pernod and Ricard merged to form Pernod Ricard S.A..
- 1988 – Pernod Ricard acquired Irish Distillers (which includes Jameson Irish whiskeys).
- 1989 – Pernod Ricard acquired Orlando Wyndham (makers of Jacob's Creek).
- 1993 – Pernod Ricard worked with Cuban companies to create Havana Club International.
- 2001 – Pernod Ricard purchased 38% of Seagram's Wines and Spirits business.
- 2005 – Pernod Ricard purchased Allied Domecq.
- 2008 – Pernod Ricard purchased V&S Group including the Absolut Vodka brand, from the Swedish government.
- Premium Wine Brands (Australia) – owner of Orlando Wines (incl. Jacob's Creek) and Wyndham Estate
- Pernod Ricard NZ – owner of Montana Wines
- Corby Distilleries - Canadian subsidiary; owner of Wiser's whisky, Lamb's rum
- Pernod Ricard Rouss - subsidiary in the Russian Federation
- Irish Distillers - Irish subsidiary
- Pernod Ricard Armenia - Armenian subsidiary
- Pernod Ricard India - Indian subsidiary
- Pernod Ricard Winemakers Spain - owner of Campo Viejo, Ysios, Tarsus, Aura, Azpilicueta, and Siglo wines
Pernod Ricard owns a wide variety of beverage brands worldwide. These include:
As of 26 July 2005, the brand portfolio expanded to include former Allied Domecq products:
Fortune Brands' agreement with Pernod Ricard also included the purchase of the Maker's Mark bourbon brand, which remained subject to regulatory clearance in the United States. While the U.S. Federal Trade Commission conducted its review, Maker's Mark was owned and managed by Pernod Ricard and Pernod Ricard received the earnings from the brand. Fortune Brands was compensated with interest payments upon transfer of the brand.
Support of bullfighting in France
Property rights conflict over the Havana Club trademark
The Havana Club brand was lost to its founders, the Arechabala family, due to the 1959 Cuban Revolution and an ongoing legal battle opposes the claimed trademark owners in the US to the joint-venture between Pernod Ricard and the Cuban State-owned company Corporación Cuba Ron. The Havana Club trademark remains unchallenged elsewhere in the world, having been validated by court decisions in a number of other countries than the US.
- "Registration Document (with AMF) 2011/2012" (PDF). Pernod Ricard. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- "Annual Report 2010/2011" (PDF). Pernod Ricard. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Pernod wins auction for Vin & Sprit". The Local. 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- "Fortune Brands Receives Regulatory Clearance to Complete Purchase of Maker's Mark". Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Bacardi Havana Club trademark - bad US politics makes for bad US business". Havana Journal. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Decker, Susan (2011-03-29). "Pernod Ricard Loses Appeals Court Ruling in Bacardi ‘Havana Club Fight". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "STATEMENT FROM BACARDI U.S.A., INC. ON THE U.S. COURT OF APPEALS RULING REGARDING HAVANA CLUB RUM REGISTRATION". Bacardí Limited. Retrieved 2011-05-30.