||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2009)|
|Colongitude||128° at sunrise|
|Eponym||Charles D. Perrine|
Perrine is a lunar crater that is located on the northern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon. It lies to the west of the large walled plain Landau, and to the northeast of the crater Charlier. To the north-northwest is the smaller Gullstrand.
This is an unusual formation that forms part of a chain of connected craters. The western two-thirds of Perrine is overlain by the slightly smaller Perrine S, so that Perrine is crescent-shaped. The western rim of Perrine S is overlain by the still-smaller Perrine T. Perrine S has a worn outer rim, and a small central peak in the middle of the floor.
The surviving rim of Perrine is worn and eroded, with the overlapping pair Perrine E and Perrine G intruding slightly into the eastern rim. A smaller crater has disrupted the southwest end of the outer rim, and a pair of small craters are attached to the northern rim.
Only a small portion of the interior floor of Perrine still survives, forming a crescent-shaped surface between the outer rampart of Perrine S and the inner wall of Perrine. It is marked by a pair of tiny craterlets in the northern half.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater midpoint that is closest to Perrine.
|E||42.8° N||124.9° W||40 km|
|G||42.1° N||124.6° W||58 km|
|L||39.2° N||127.2° W||37 km|
|S||42.5° N||128.6° W||63 km|
|T||42.4° N||130.2° W||34 km|
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 978-0-913135-17-4.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revision ed.). Dover. ISBN 978-0-486-20917-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-62248-6.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 978-1-85233-193-1.