No. 20 San Francisco 49ers
|Cornerback / Return specialist|
|Date of birth:January 10, 1987|
|Place of birth: Waco, Texas|
|High school: Waco (TX) University|
|College: Oklahoma State|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 137|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Denver Broncos|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Perrish Eugene Cox (born January 10, 1987) is an American football cornerback and return specialist for the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL. He was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Oklahoma State.
Cox attended University High School in Waco, Texas, where he was a standout on both sides of the football. As a senior, Cox recorded 27 tackles and led the team with nine interceptions. On the offense, he had 47 catches for 670 yards and 12 touchdowns. He earned first-team Class 4A all-state honors, first-team all-Central Texas honors, and played in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
In his true freshman year at Oklahoma State, Cox became the first Cowboy since Barry Sanders to open a season with a kickoff return for a touchdown when he went 96 yards against Missouri State. Playing both on defense and special teams, Cox had 24 tackles on defense while breaking up five passes. His 595 kickoff return yards in 2006 represent the third best single-season total in OSU history.
Cox became a starter during his sophomore year, as he started the last eight games of the regular season at cornerback. He tied for second on the team with two interceptions while breaking up eight passes, and was also credited with 42 tackles. Cox averaged 21.5 yards on 31 kickoff returns and his 631 kickoff return yards are second best for OSU in a single season.
As a junior, Cox again returned the first kickoff of the season 90 yards for a touchdown against Washington State. He finished the season with 32 tackles, eight pass break-ups, and two interceptions.
2010 NFL Draft
Cox was considered one of the best cornerbacks available in the 2010 NFL Draft. His draft stock dropped after a slow 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, but he was able to improve his workout numbers at OSU's Pro Day.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 3⁄8 in||195 lb||30 in||8 3⁄8 in||4.58 s||1.59 s||2.63 s||32 1⁄2 in||9 ft 5 in||12 reps|
|All values from NFL combine (no full workout due to leg cramps)|
San Francisco 49ers
Cox signed with the San Francisco 49ers for a two-year deal on March 13, 2012. Cox was released by the 49ers on November 12, 2013 to make room on the active roster for returning ILB Nick Moody.
Cox was signed by the Seattle Seahawks on November 26, 2013. He was released by the Seahawks on November 27, 2013. On December 11, 2013, Cox re-signed with the Seahawks, after a season-ending injury to safety Jeron Johnson. He was once again released by the Seahawks on December 27, 2013.
Second Stint with 49ers
Off the field troubles
In August 2009, Cox was arrested for driving with a suspended license.
Cox was arrested on December 9, 2010, for felonious sexual assault and taken to a Douglas County jail. He was released on December 10 on a $50,000 bond. His sexual assault charges were classified as class three and class four felonies which carry a sentence of two years to life in prison. He faced a possible sentence of ten years to life if convicted. However, on March 2, 2012, Cox was found not guilty of sexual assault charges in Douglas County, Colorado criminal court.
- Cornerbacks 2006, Rivals.com, January 30, 2006
- Jim Thorpe Award Names 2009 Semi-Finalists, Jim Thorpe Association, November 3, 2009
- NFL Draft Scout. NFL Draft Scout. Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- Perrish Cox Draft Profile, CBSSports.com, retrieved November 7, 2009
- Wilson, Aaron (March 30, 2010), Perrish Cox improves workout numbers, National Football Post
- Perrish Cox Combine Profile, NFL.com, retrieved April 4, 2010
- Perrish Cox Draft Profile, NFLDraftScout.com, retrieved April 4, 2010
- Perrish Cox waived by Broncos. Espn.go.com (2011-09-03). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- 49ers sign CB Perrish Cox. Espn.go.com (2012-03-13). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- . profootballtalk.nbcsports.com (2013-11-12). Retrieved on 2013-11-22.
- Twitter / Seahawks: SS Jeron Johnson has been placed on injured reserve & CB Perrish Cox signed to the active roster. LB Mike Taylor signed to practice squad.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys' Perrish Cox arrested for suspended license – ESPN. Sports.espn.go.com (2009-09-01). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- Oklahoma State's Perrish Cox Suspended for Cotton Bowl. Bleacher Report (2010-01-01). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- Broncos' Cox could receive long prison sentence if convicted. NFL.com (2010-12-15). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.
- Perrish Cox case: Jury finds ex-Denver Broncos' CB Perrish Cox not guilty on both counts in sex-assault trial. 9news.com (2012-03-02). Retrieved on 2012-06-11.