Perry (village), New York
|Perry, New York|
|— Village —|
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,371 ft (418 m)|
|• Density||1,744.8/sq mi (673.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0960202|
The Village of Perry was incorporated in 1830.
Chester A. Arthur, the twenty-first President of the United States spent some of his childhood years in the Village of Perry after being born in Vermont.
Perry is located at (42.716876, -78.004582).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.1 km²), of which 2.3 square miles (5.9 km²) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.3 km²) (4.64%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,945 people, 1,560 households, and 1,051 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,744.8 people per square mile (674.0/km²). There were 1,764 housing units at an average density of 780.2 per square mile (301.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.41% White, 0.74% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.55% of the population.
There were 1,560 households out of which 33.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 13.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.6% were non-families. 27.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the village the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 92.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $35,596, and the median income for a family was $41,090. Males had a median income of $31,845 versus $21,486 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,794. About 6.5% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.8% of those under age 18 and 2.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 4/16/12 through 4/20/12. National Park Service. 2012-04-27.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- iloveperryny.com - Perry's Information Portal, Event Calendar, Business Listings and Image Database
- Village of Perry
- Perry Chamber of Commerce
- Last Night Perry: Annual New Year's Eve Celebration
- Perry Farmer's Market