Perry County, Kentucky
|Perry County, Kentucky|
County courthouse in Hazard
Location in the state of Kentucky
Kentucky's location in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1820|
|Named for||Oliver Hazard Perry|
|• Total||343 sq mi (888 km2)|
|• Land||340 sq mi (881 km2)|
|• Water||2.9 sq mi (8 km2), 0.9%|
|• Density||85/sq mi (33/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Perry County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. As of the 2010 census, the population was 28,712. Its county seat is Hazard. The county was founded in 1820. Both the county and county seat are named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a naval hero in the War of 1812.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Education
- 4 Economy
- 5 Media
- 6 Communities
- 7 Notable resident
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Breathitt County (north)
- Knott County (northeast)
- Letcher County (southeast)
- Harlan County (south)
- Leslie County (west)
- Clay County (northwest)
- Owsley County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,390 people, 11,460 households, and 8,491 families residing in the county. The population density was 86 per square mile (33/km2). There were 12,741 housing units at an average density of 37 per square mile (14/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 97.34% White, 1.64% Black or African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.49% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.04% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. 0.52% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 11,460 households out of which 34.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.70% were married couples living together, 13.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.90% were non-families. 23.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.40% under the age of 18, 9.10% from 18 to 24, 30.70% from 25 to 44, 24.60% from 45 to 64, and 11.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 94.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $22,089, and the median income for a family was $26,718. Males had a median income of $31,702 versus $20,502 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,224. About 26.10% of families and 29.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.00% of those under age 18 and 20.60% of those age 65 or over.
The county has two school districts:
Perry County Schools
This district covers the entire county except for the city of Hazard.
- A.B. Combs Elementary School
- Big Creek Elementary School
- Buckhorn Elementary School
- Buckhorn High School
- Chavies Elementary School
- Dennis C. Wooton Elementary School
- Leatherwood Elementary School
- Lost Creek Elementary School
- Perry County Central High School
- Robinson Elementary School
- R.W. Combs Elementary School
- Viper Elementary School
- Willard Elementary School
Hazard Independent Schools
This district essentially encompasses the city of Hazard. See this link for a more accurate map of the Hazard district boundary.
- Hazard High School
- Roy G. Eversole Middle School
- Walkertown Primary School
- Wabaco Christian Academy
- Hazard Christian Academy
Coal companies in Perry County
- Shelby Lee Adams - American photographer
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Perry County". The Kentucky Encyclopedia. 2000. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- The Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society, Volume 1. Kentucky State Historical Society. 1903. p. 36.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Arch Coal - Hazard Complex
- James River Coal Company – Leeco complex
- James River Coal Company – Blue Diamond complex
- Perry - TECO Coal
- Hazard/Perry County Tourism
- Hazard Kentucky and Perry County: A Photographic History
- Hazard Kentucky and Perry County History & Ancestry