Perry Hall High School
|Perry Hall High School|
|4601 Ebenezer Road
Perry Hall, Maryland, 21236
|Motto||Respect • Responsibility • Integrity • Civility|
|School district||Baltimore County Public Schools|
|Assistant principals||Stephen Arnold
|Color(s)||Navy, Gold, and White
|Athletics conference||MPSSAA Baltimore County League|
|Athletic Director||Bob Hruz|
Perry Hall High School is a public high school established in 1963 and is the largest public high school in Baltimore County, Maryland, enrolling about 2,300 students a year. Located in the northeastern Baltimore suburb of Perry Hall and serving the surrounding communities, such as Kingsville and Glen Arm, it is part of the Baltimore County Public Schools system. Area middle schools that feed into Perry Hall High are Perry Hall Middle School and Pine Grove Middle School.
- 1 Structure
- 2 History
- 3 Notable alumni
- 4 Extracurricular activities
- 5 References
- 6 External links
When initially established, Perry Hall High School was located in the building which today is Perry Hall Middle School. The class of 1968 was the first class to graduate from the new and current building located just down the road. In 1973 construction started on a small addition to the front of the building. This first addition was built adjacent to the library. Nine new classrooms were built to accommodate 350 more students and four new teachers. Renovations that took place in the same year included a team locker room, new biology and chemistry labs, and an addition to the faculty dining room. A three-story new addition had to be built in 1997 to fight overcrowding. The new section has health and career education classrooms below ground level, tall music rooms and social science rooms at ground level, and foreign language and art rooms on the second floor. Because of the tall music rooms, the second floor of the new addition is actually a half story higher than the second floor of the main building. Currently there are portable classrooms situated outside the main building to alleviate the continuing overpopulation problem. The most recent addition was a hallway around the auditorium to alleviate the crowded junction on the first floor between the old and new wings.
Perry Hall High School was established in 1963 in the middle of a growing community. The doors opened on September 6 to sophomores and juniors, taking students that would have otherwise attended Parkville High School or Overlea High School. The first principal of Perry Hall High School was Maynard E. Keadle. Perry Hall High School's first graduates were members of the class of 1965. Within five years a second building was constructed to accommodate the high number of students in the area. The new building opened in the fall of 1967 to Perry Hall High School students while the original building became Perry Hall Junior High School, known as Perry Hall Middle School today.
A new addition replaced portable classrooms at Perry Hall High School in 1997, but by 2003 portable classrooms were needed once again. In 2005, a new hallway was built to try to ease the overcrowded hallways. With Perry Hall High School being the most populated school in the Baltimore County public school system, the Perry Hall Improvement Association has started a petition to gather support for a new high school to be constructed in northeast Baltimore County.
Perry Hall High School is shown in a DVD extra in "Heavy Metal Parking Lot", filmed before a Judas Priest concert in 1986. Its "star", known as Zebraman, is a PHHS graduate.
A shooting occurred at the Perry Hall cafeteria on the first day of school at 10:45 a.m., Monday, August 27, 2012. The shooter, 15-year-old sophomore student Robert Gladden, Jr., attended the first two classes and then went to the school restroom during break time where he allegedly reassembled a 12 gauge shotgun from his backpack and loaded it. He exited the restroom with the shotgun hidden under his clothing, and pulled it out in the cafeteria, where he fired a shot that struck a 17-year-old male student in the back, critically wounding him. A school guidance counselor immediately rushed to Gladden and attempted to subdue him. More faculty members rushed the shooter, who fired into the ceiling during the struggle. Several people suffered minor cuts and bruises during the panic that ensued. Students were evacuated to a nearby shopping center and middle school.
- Reggie Aqui, CNN Anchor
- Alfred W. Redmer, Jr., former Member of Maryland House of Delegates, former Maryland State Insurance Commissioner
- Chuck Porter, former Major League Baseball Player
- James F. Ports, Jr., former Member of Maryland House of Delegates
- Tonja Walker, actress
- Dave Stinebaugh, former University of Maryland Football Player
- Matthew Thompson, Morgan St. University Football Player
- John Honeycutt, Saint Francis University(PA) Football Player
There are many clubs and activities in the arts, languages, music, career interests, and recreation from which students may choose:
- It's Academic
- Science Club
Art and Music
The Marching Gators were the 2009 and 2012 USSBA Group IIIA Maryland State Champions.
Perry Hall has won the following State Championships:
- 1979 – Softball, Class AA
- 1982 – Field Hockey, Class AA
- 1987 – Boys Cross Country, Class AA
- 1990 – Baseball, Class 4A
- 1992 – Baseball, Class 4A
- 1993 – Girls Cross Country, Class 4A
- 1994 – Baseball, Class 4A
- Hallmark (Student newspaper)
- Hallways (Yearbook)
- Morning Announcements (TV studio)
- Quill and Scroll
- Vignette (Art and Literary magazine)
- Yearbook Sales
- French Honor Society
- Spanish Club
- Spanish Honor Society
- Chinese Honor Society
- Asian American Club
- Peer Counselors
- Peer Mentors
- Club 180
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Tech Theatre
- Hereford Harbinger
- 2007 Maryland Report Card: Baltimore County – Perry Hall
- 2007 Maryland Report Card: Baltimore County
- Hallmark Newspaper Vol. 10, No. 5.
- .Councilman Vincent Gardina
- Northeast booster
- "FAMILY OF ALLEGED SHOOTER "HORRIFIED"". Associated Press. August 27, 2012. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- Knezevich, Alison (2012-09-04). "Robert Gladden Jr. indicted in Perry Hall school shooting—WGN". Wgntv.com. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Alleged Baltimore School Shooter's Victim Has Down's Syndrome". News.yahoo.com. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Robert Gladden Jr. Sentenced In Maryland School Shooting That Wounded Daniel Borowy". Huffington Post. February 25, 2013. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- MPSSAA Field Hockey