|Member of the Florida House of Representatives
from the 22nd district
June 29, 1937 |
Perry Colson McGriff, Jr. (born June, 1937) is an American politician, retired insurance agent, and former All-American college football and baseball player. McGriff is a former member of the Florida House of Representatives, and former candidate for the Florida Senate.
Early life and education
McGriff was born in Arcadia, Florida in 1937. He attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, where he was a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity (Florida Alpha Chapter) and Florida Blue Key leadership honorary. McGriff played college football for coach Bob Woodruff's Florida Gators football team in 1958 and 1959, and led the Gators with fourteen receptions for 360 receiving yards and was an honorable mention All-American in 1959. McGriff was also an outfielder for coach Dave Fuller's Florida Gators baseball team from 1958 to 1960, and was honored as a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection in 1959 and 1960, a first-team All-American in 1959, and a second-team All-American in 1960. He received his bachelor's degree in physical education from Florida in 1960, and was inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame as a "Gator Great" in 1969.
McGriff, a Democrat, served as the 22nd district Representative in the Florida House of Representatives from 2000 to 2002. He has also served as an Alachua County, Florida commissioner, as a Gainesville, Florida city commissioner and as Gainesville mayor.. In 2010, he was the unsuccessful Democratic Party nominee for Florida's 14th senate district, losing to the incumbent Republican Steve Oelrich, 46 to 54 percent.
McGriff lives in Gainesville with his family.
- 1959 College Baseball All-America Team
- Florida Gators
- Florida Gators football, 1950–59
- List of Phi Delta Theta members
- List of University of Florida alumni
- Florida House of Representatives, Representative Perry C. McGriff, Jr. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 111, 114, 115, 183 (2011). Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- 2009 Florida Gators Baseball Media Guide, History, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 87 & 89 (2009). Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- F Club, Hall of Fame, Gator Greats. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Chad Smith, "Perry McGriff will challenge Oelrich for Senate seat," The Gainesville Sun (June 17, 2010). Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Chad Smith, "Oelrich retans Dist 14 Senate seat," The Gainesville Sun (November 2, 2010). Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Representative Perry C. McGriff, Jr. – Official website of Florida House of Representatives.