Perry River (Victoria)
|Name origin: In honour of Captain Samuel Perry|
|Regions||South East Coastal Plain (IBRA), West Gippsland|
|Local government area||Shire of Wellington|
|Part of||West Gippsland catchment|
|- right||Sandy Creek (Perry River, Victoria), Jones Creek (Perry River, Victoria), Fiddlers Creek|
|- elevation||66 m (217 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Avon River|
|- location||southeast of|
|- elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Length||29 km (18 mi)|
|National park||The Lakes National Park|
|Nature reserve||Providence Ponds Nature Conservation Reserve|
Location and features
The Perry River rises near course generally south, joined by three minor tributaries before reaching its confluence with the Avon River before the Avon empties into Lake Wellington southeast of . Within Lake Wellington, the Avon forms its confluence with the Latrobe River, empties into Bass Strait via the Mitchell River south of . The river descends 63 metres (207 ft) over its 29-kilometre (18 mi) course.on the West Gippsland plain and flows in a highly meandering
- "Perry River: 23400: Traditional name: Goomballa". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Perry River: 23400: Traditional name: Goomballa". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Perry River: 23400". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Blake, Les (1977). Place names of Victoria. Adelaide: Rigby. p. 294. ISBN 0-7270-0250-3., cited in Bird (2006)
- "Map of Perry River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Dowd, Bernard T. (1967). "Perry, Samuel Augustus (1787 - 1854)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: Australian National University. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Bird, Eric (12 October 2006). "Place Names on the Coast of Victoria" (PDF). The Australian National Placename Survey (ANPS). Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "West Gippsland Regional Catchment Strategy (2013 - 2019)" (PDF – 4MB). West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. 2012. ISBN 978-0-9805562-8-5.
- "Latrobe Catchment Ecosystem" (PDF). West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. 2012.
|This article about a location in Gippsland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|