Perrysburg Township, Wood County, Ohio
|Perrysburg Township, Wood County, Ohio|
Perrysburg Township Police/Fire/EMS building
Location of Perrysburg Township in Wood County
|• Total||40.1 sq mi (103.9 km2)|
|• Land||39.3 sq mi (101.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|Elevation||633 ft (193 m)|
|• Density||346.4/sq mi (133.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087194|
Perrysburg Township is located in northern Wood County, surrounding the crossroads of I-75 and the Ohio Turnpike, ten miles south of the City of Toledo, Ohio. At one time Perrysburg Township was the largest township, geographical, in Ohio with 49 square miles; due to annexation the square mileage is now approximately 40.
Perrysburg Township borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Rossford - north
- Northwood - northeast
- Lake Township - east
- Troy Township - southeast
- Webster Township - south
- Middleton Township - southwest
- Perrysburg - northwest
Name and history
Established on May 8, 1823, it is the oldest township in Wood County.
It is the only Perrysburg Township statewide. The namesake of Perrysburg Township is Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who fought in the War of 1812 and won a decisive victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Current elected officials of Perrysburg Township:
- Gary Britten, Trustee: Term ends December 2013
- Shirley Haar, Fiscal Officer: Term ends April 2016
- Craig LaHote, Trustee: Term ends December 2015
- Robert Mack, Trustee: Term ends December 2013
Board of Trustee meetings, which are open to the public, are held on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month at 6:00 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Perrysburg Township offices are composed of the following: Administration, Emergency Medical Services, Fire, Police, Recreation, Road Maintenance, and Zoning.
As of the 2010 Census, there were 12,512 people residing in Perrysburg Township. There were 5,359 households and 3,238 families out of which 23.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them. The average household size was 2.3 and the average family size was 2.89.
The racial makeup of the township was
- 92.9% White
- 2.9% Asian
- 1.6% from two or more races.
- 1.2% from other races
- 0.9% African American
- 0.1% Native American
Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.4% of the population.
The median age in the township was 42.9 years.
- 20.9% of residents were under the age of 19
- 9.5% were between the ages of 20 and 24
- 24.3% were from 25 to 44
- 31% were from 45 to 64
- 14.1% were 65 years of age or older.
The gender makeup of the township was 47.2% male and 52.8% female.
There are four school districts which fall within the jurisdictional boundaries of Perrysburg Township:
- Eastwood Local Schools
- Lake Local Schools
- Perrysburg Schools
- Rossford Exempted Village Schools.
Perrysburg Township is also home to Penta Career Center, a vocational high school, serving five counties and sixteen school districts.
A full-time Islamic school is located on the grounds of the Greater Toledo Islamic Center in Perrysburg Township.
Perrysburg Township is home to:
- Ampoint Industrial Park
- Cedar Business Park
- Chrysler Toledo Machining Plant
- FedEx Distribution Center
- First Solar Inc.
- Walgreens Distribution Center
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Wood County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Vol. 1 Historical and Biographical record of Wood Co. by J.H. Beers and Co., 1897
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml Retrieved 2013-05-17