Drell in March 2009
|Born||December 30, 1955|
|Institutions||Cornell University, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley, Wellesley College|
Persis S. Drell (born December 30, 1955) is an American physicist best known for her expertise in the field of particle physics. She was the director of the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory from 2007 to 2012. In 2014, she was named dean of the Stanford University School of Engineering.
Early life and career
The daughter of noted physicist Sidney Drell, Persis Drell grew up on the Stanford University campus. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in mathematics and physics from Wellesley College in 1977 and a Ph.D. in atomic physics from University of California, Berkeley in 1983. She completed her postdoctoral work in high-energy physics at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. She joined the physics faculty at Cornell University in 1988.
In 2002, Drell was hired as associate director of research at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (then known as the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) where she oversaw the BaBar experiment. In 2007, she was named the fourth director of SLAC, succeeding Jonathan M. Dorfan.
In November 2011, she announced her intention to step down as the head of SLAC and return to a position as a faculty member at Stanford.
In June 2014, Drell was named the ninth dean of the Stanford University School of Engineering starting September 1, 2014 and succeeding Jim Plummer. She will be the first woman to serve in that role.
- "Former SLAC Director Persis Drell named dean of Stanford Engineering". Stanford Report. June 3, 2014. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- Mead, Tom (May 1, 2002). "Renowned physicist Persis Drell joins SLAC as associate director for research". The Stanford Report. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "Persis Drell, Director Emerita". SLAC. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "Persis S. Drell Named Fourth Director of the U.S. Department of Energy's Stanford Linear Accelerator Center" (Press release). Stanford University. December 6, 2007. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "Drell to step down as SLAC laboratory director". Stanford Report. November 2, 2011. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
Media related to Persis Drell at Wikimedia Commons
Jonathan M. Dorfan
Dec 2007 – Dec 2012
|This article about an American physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|