The United States Army defines personnel recovery as "The sum of military, DOD civilian, DOD contractor personnel, or other personnel designated by the President or Secretary of Defense, who are isolated, missing, detained, or captured (IMDC) in an operational environment. Also called PR."
The five PR execution tasks
- Report: Begins with the recognition of an isolating event. It must be both timely and accurate.
- Locate: Involves the effort to find and authenticate isolated personnel. Accurate position and positive ID are generally required prior to committing forces.
- Support: Involves support for isolated personnel and their families. It can include establishing two-way communications, dropping supplies, or suppressing enemy threats.
- Recover: Involves coordinated actions of commanders and staffs, recovery forces and the isolated individual.
- Reintegrate: The primary consideration is the physical and mental health of the recovered personnel.