|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-03, KL-62|
|Nearest city||Ranni and pathanmthitta|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Pathanamthitta|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ranny|
Perunad is located on the main trunk road to Sabarimala, the Pathanamthitta-Pampa State Highway. It is surrounded by the villages Chittar, Vadaserikara and Naranammoozhi. The road to Gavi, Kakki and Moozhiyar passes through the village. A part of the famous Periyar Tiger Reserve is situated in this Panchayat.
Perunad is chiefly a plantation township, the important crop being rubber.
- One of the most important pilgrim centres in India- Sabarimala Sree Sastha Temple- is located in Perunad Panchayat.
Perunad is noted for the Kakkattu Koikkal Sree Dharma Sastha Temple. The processions of Thiruvabharanam and "Thanka Anki" - The Royal Ornaments of Lord Ayyappa halt here. The Ayyappa idol in the temple used to get decorated with "Thiruvabharanam" for a day during its return trip from Sabarimala to Pandalam palace. This gives an opportunity for the women to witness Ayyappa decorated with Thiruvabharanam as they cannot enter the Sabarimala temple. The Malikapurathamma temple is a Devi temple very near [50metres]Ayyappa temple in perunad.
Another famous religious places:
- A 100 year old Bethel malankara marthoma syrian church (which was under reconstruction) in madathumoozhy , perunad.most of the christian living in village was marthomites.there are many active associations in this church like yuvajana sakyam, sevika sangam, sunday school, the sunday school was awarded by the 2nd best sunday school in kerala.the parish is under the ranni-nilakkal diocese.
*the Bethany Orthodox Ashram located on B ethany Hills.
Bethany St. Thomas Orthodox Church popularly known as 'Bethanypally', is a parish under the Nilakkal diocese of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. Bethany Ashram And The Parish was Founded in the same Year 1928, The First Parish in Eastern Area of Malankara Orthodox church. The Land for the Parish was Donated By Bethany Ashram Foundation Stone of the first Church was lais in 1918.
- Malankara Catholic Pilgrim Centre is also get religious importance. Bethany CMS Anglican Church is also an ancient Church in Perunad. St.Jude Catholic Church, There is also Pentecostal Churches (IPC, Koonamkara, Church of God in India and Assemblies of God) in this village.
Catholic churches and Marthoma Churches are also there, Juma Masjid in Madathumoozhy & Pottomoozhy.
Famous educational institutions in Perunad Panchayath are
- Caarmel Engineering College Koonamkara,
- Perunad High School
- Bethany St. Mary's GHS
- perunad lp school
- kisumum govt h.s.s
Perunad is known for its natural beauty,rivers,rubber and pineapple plantations,hills, valleys, forests.
1. By Air Chipsan helicopter service from Nedumbassery Helipad Kuttikayam. 2. Both state-run KSRTC and private operated buses connect Perunad to Pathanamthitta and Ranni towns. 3. Auto rickshaws are available and generally hired for short distance (1–3 km) where bus service are non-existent or rare. 4. Jeep & Car is another preferred mode of transport.
The nearest railway stations are at Thiruvalla and Chengannur.Nearest busstand to perunad is KSRTC stands in PATHANAMTHITTA and RANNI. There is a big chain of bus services from private and ksrtc.the ksrtc pamba buses are passing through the village 24 hours to pamba , pathanamthitta and chengannur . You can reach perunad in 30–45 minutes by private bus from pathanamthitta[18 km] and in 20–30 minutes from ranni[14 km].
Trivandrum International Airport and Cochin International Airport, at Nedumbassery, Kochi are the airports conveniently used to reach here. ARANMULA airport if it comes up will become the nearest airport in pathanamthitta district.
St mary, Perunad Perunad Market, Madathummoozhi, Koonamkara, Kollamula, Puthukkada,Kannanumon, Lahai, Mampara, Poovathummoodu and Madamon are the major places in this village.PERUNTHENARUVI [13KM] FROM PERUNAD is an important tourist point near perunad via athikayam you reach these water falls .You need to walk a little to enjoy these falls. You need to take care from falling into these falls and you have to carry food/water in these unexplored forests. There are 2 hospitals in perunad. 1.Community Health Centre,near Perunad panchayath office 2. Bethany Hospital,near Bethanypally perunad Major nationalized banks in perunad is CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA at Madathummoozhy and an SBT and CENTRAL BANK ATM counters at madathummoozhy.PERUNAD SAHAKARANA BANK and PATHANAMTHITTA COOPERATIVE BANKS too have offices here so does MUTHOOT, MULAMOOTTIL and a few other non banking finance companies . Nearest petrol/diesel pump is at vadasserikkara[5 km] though we have a pump under construction in perunad near velliyapalam.Perunad has offices for state treasury /kerala state beverages corporation outlets.
Like the rest of the state, Perunad has a wet and maritime tropical climate. The region receives most of the rain from the South-West monsoon from June to August and the North-East monsoon during October and November. Although the summer is from March to May, it receives locally developed thundershowers in May. Due to the higher elevation, the climate is cooler towards the eastern area.
Dam & Projects
There are two main dams
- maniyar dam
- perunad hydro electric project
One Hydal Electric Project is opened here in February 2012. Both government and private hospitals, libraries, recreation clubs are also here.
Hinduism and Christianity are the main religions followed here. There are certain section who follow other religions also. Various sections of Hindus, Christians and Muslims co-exist harmoniously.
Pathanamthitta assembly constituency was part of the Idukki (Lok Sabha constituency) but now Pathanamthitta is a separate Lok Sabha constituency. .ANTO ANTONY of Indian National Congress is the MP from PATHANAMTHITTA PARLIAMENT SEAT and RAJU ABRAHAM of CPM is the MLA from RANNI ASSEMBLY SEAT.
- "Census of India : Population Finder : Sub District-wise Details". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 2009-09-15.