|Industry||Software, RDBMS, Data Integration|
|Products||Pervasive Data Integrator
Pervasive Data Profiler
|Revenue||$47.2 million USD (Fiscal 2010)|
Pervasive Software was a company that developed software including database management systems and extract, transform and load tools. Pervasive Data Integrator and Pervasive Data Profiler are integration products, and the Pervasive PSQL relational database management system is its primary data storage product. These embeddable data management products deliver integration between corporate data, third-party applications and custom software.
Pervasive Software was headquartered in Austin, Texas, and sold its products with partners in other countries. The company is involved in cloud computing through DataSolutions and its DataCloud offering along with its long-standing relationship with salesforce.com. It was acquired by Actian Corp. in April 2013.
Pervasive started in 1982 as SoftCraft developing the database management system technology Btrieve. Acquired by Novell in 1987, in January 1994 Pervasive spun out as Btrieve Technologies. The company name was changed to Pervasive Software in June 1996. Their initial public offering in 1997 raised $18.6 million. Ron R. Harris was chief executive and founder Nancy R. Woodward was chairman of the board of directors (the other co-founder was her husband Douglas Woodward). Its shares were listed on the Nasdaq exchange under symbol PVSW. Its database product was announced in 1999 as Pervasive.SQL version 7, and later renamed PSQL. PSQL implemented the atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability properties known as ACID using a relational database model.
In August 2003, Pervasive agreed to acquire Data Junction Corporation, makers of data and application integration tools renamed Pervasive Data Integrator, for about $51.7 million in cash and stock shares. Data Junction, founded in 1984, was a privately held company also headquartered in Austin. The merger closed in December 2003.
Pervasive announced development of DataRush in December 2006. DataRush is a framework written in the Java programming language to efficiently use multi-core processors. In 2009 the product was released and promoted for customers to use. The results of a study done with the University of Texas on Netflix data mining using DataRush was presented at the June 2009 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. DataRush implements a software architecture that uses a dataflow model.
Pervasive also acquired business-to-business data interchange service Channelinx in August 2009. Based in Greenville, South Carolina, it continued operating under the name Pervasive Business Xchange. In February 2011, Pervasive announced version 5 of DataRush, which included integration with the MapReduce programming model of Apache Hadoop.
In 2013, Pervasive Software was acquired by Actian Corporation for $161.9 million. Actian had initially made offers in August 2012 starting at $154 million 30% higher than its shares traded at the time, and raised its price in November. Pervasive agreed to the deal in January 2013, and it closed in April.
- "Pervasive Software Reports Results for its Fourth Quarter of Fiscal Year 2010". Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "Pervasive Industry Solutions". Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Cloud Integration". Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Salesforce Integration". Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Christopher Calnan (April 12, 2013). "Software maker Pervasive completes merger with Actian". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Roger Bourke White (2012). Surfing the High Tech Wave: A History of Novell 1980–1990. AuthorHouse. pp. 123–124. ISBN 9781452023045. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Pervasive Software (September 26, 1997). "Prospectus". Form S-1/A. US Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- P J Connolly (March 15, 2007). "Pervasive Living Up to Its Name at 25". Software Development Times. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Tim Fielden (January 18, 1999). "Pervasive.SQL simplifies development". Info World. Archived from the original on August 30, 1999. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Paul Krill (August 11, 2003). "Pervasive buying Data Junction: Database, integration vendors combine". Info World. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Pervasive completes acquisition of Data Junction; Announces new organizational structure optimized for growth". Press release. December 8, 2003. Archived from the original on February 2, 2004. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Welcome to Pervasive DataRush". Original Pervasive DataRush web site. Archived from the original on December 8, 2006. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "An Introduction to the Pervasive DataRush Framework". Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- James Taylor (June 4, 2009). "First Look – Pervasive DataRush". James Taylor on Everything Decision Management. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Dan Woods (August 25, 2009). "Waking Up Multi-Core Processors". Forbes.com. Archived from the original on January 23, 2013. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Pervasive Software to Present Groundbreaking High-Performance Massively Parallel Data Mining Results at KDD-09". Press release. May 28, 2009. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Srivatsava Daruru, Nena M. Marin, Matt Walker and Joydeep Ghosh (June 28, 2009). "Pervasive parallelism in data mining: dataflow solution to co-clustering large and sparse Netflix data". Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining (ACM): 1115–1124. doi:10.1145/1557019.1557140. ISBN 978-1-60558-495-9.
- Wayne Eckerson (January 4, 2011). "The Next Wave in Big Data Analytics: Exploiting Multi-core Chips and SMP Machines". Bye Network blog. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Pervasive Software (August 3, 2009). "Pervasive Software Completes Acquisition of ChanneLinx Assets". Press release. Archived from the original on August 31, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "About Us". ChannelLinx web site. Archived from the original on August 16, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Pervasive Business Xchange". Commercial web site. Archived from the original on April 11, 2010. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Paul Krill (February 1, 2011). "Pervasive's parallel development API paired with Hadoop MapReduce". Info World. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Jim Falgout (March 1, 2011). "Dataflow Programming: A Scalable Data-Centric Approach to Parallelism". Java Developer's Journal. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Sarah Drake (September 13, 2012). "Pervasive Software to solicit potential bids". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- Reuters (January 28, 2013). "Pervasive Software to be acquired by Actian for $161.9 million". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Actian Corporation and Pervasive Software Unite to Take Action on Big Data". Press release. April 11, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Christopher Calnan (April 12, 2013). "Software maker Pervasive completes merger with Actian". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved November 23, 2013.