Province of Pesaro and Urbino
|Province of Pesaro e Urbino|
Map highlighting the location of the province of Pesaro e Urbino in Italy
|• President||Matteo Ricci (PD)|
|• Total||2,564.21 km2 (990.05 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
0721 Pesaro0722 Urbino
The Province of Pesaro and Urbino (Italian: Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino, pronounced [proˈvintʃa di ˈpeːzaro e urˈbiːno]) is a province in the Marche region of Italy. Its capital is the city of Pesaro. It also borders the state of San Marino. The province is surrounded by San Marino and Emilia Romagna in the north, Umbria and Tuscany in the west, Ancona in the south and the Adriatic Sea on the east. The province is also known as "Riviera of Hills". It is mostly covered by hills and is popular for its beaches. The Ceramics museum is located in the capital city. The County Council is based in Pesaro while the headquarters of the provincial administration are in Urbino. The coat of arms of the province consists of a shield divided into two parts, each part is given the coat of arms of the two capitals. It has a robust economy with low unemployment, based on craft and small and medium industries, agriculture, tourism, resorts and cultural center. It has a very low per capita energy consumption. The art and craft industry contributes to 22% of the province's GDP. Tourism in the province plays a primary role in the local economy, the main attractions are the sea and the Apennines. The beaches of Gabicce Mare, Pesaro, Fano and Marotta are the most famous ones.
After the referendum of 2006, seven municipalities of Montefeltro were detached from the Province to join the Province of Rimini (Emilia-Romagna) on 15 August 2009. The municipalities are Casteldelci, Maiolo, Novafeltria, Pennabilli, San Leo, Sant'Agata Feltria and Talamello.
As for May 31, 2005, the main comuni by population are:
|Sant'Angelo in Lizzola||7,709|
- Roy Palmer Domenico (2002). The Regions of Italy: A Reference Guide to History and Culture. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 217. ISBN 978-0-313-30733-1.
- "Pesaro and Urbino". Italia. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Economy and Statistics" (PDF). Circumlavorando (in Italian). Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Pesaro e Ancona le sole province marchigiane al 100% balneabili" [Pesaro and Ancona province of the Marche sun bathing at 100%]. Il Resto del Carlino (in Italian). 24 June 2010. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- (Italian) Article about the legislation
- (Italian) Article on "il Resto del Carlino"
- From 2009 part of the Province of Rimini
Media related to Province of Pesaro and Urbino at Wikimedia Commons