Location in Brazil
|Founded||May 13th, 1836|
|Incorporated||April 20th, 1880|
|• Mayor||Evandro Mauro Maciel Chacon|
|• Total||995,500 km2 (384,400 sq mi)|
|Elevation||654.0 m (2,145.7 ft)|
|• Density||91.96/km2 (238.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-3 (UTC-3)|
Pesqueira is a Brazilian municipality in the state of Pernambuco. It had an estimated population in 2013 according to the IBGE, was 64,374. Its area is almost 1000.2 km². Pesqueira was formerly known as Cimbres.
The municipality was created in 1762 under the name Cimbres. In 1836, the seat of the local authority was transferred from the town of Cimbres to that of Poço de Pesqueira. In 1880 the village was renamed with the saint's name Águeda de Pesqueira. In 1913 the whole municipality started to be called Pesqueira, instead of Cimbres. In 1918, the city was made the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pesqueira.
- State - Pernambuco
- Region - Agreste Pernambucano
- Boundaries - Paraiba and Poção (N); Venturosa and Alagoinha (S); Arcoverde and Pedra (W); Belo Jardim, São Bento do Una, Capoeiras and Sanharó (E)
- Area - 1000.2 sqkm
- Elevation - 654 m
- Hidrography - Ipanema, Ipojuca and Una rivers
- Vegetation - Caatinga Hipoxerófila.
- Clima - Semi desertic, hot and dry
- Annual average temperature - 22.4 c
- Main road - BR 232
- Distance to Recife - 214 km
The main economic activities in Pesqueira are based in general commerce, services and primary sector.
|Population||GDP x(1000 R$).||GDP pc (R$)||PE|
Economy by Sector 2006
|Primary sector||Secondary sector||Service sector|
|HDI (2000)||Hospitals (2007)||Hospitals beds (2007)||Children's Mortality every 1000 (2005)|
- "Estimativa Populacional 2013" [Population Estimation in 2013] (in Portuguese). Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- Pesqueira 2007 GDP IBGE page 31
- PE State site - City by city profile
|This Pernambuco, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|