Pet Sounds (instrumental)
|Instrumental by The Beach Boys from the album Pet Sounds|
|Released||May 16, 1966|
|Recorded||November 17, 1965;
United Western Recorders, Los Angeles
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, experimental rock, instrumental rock|
|Pet Sounds track listing|
Originally called "Run James Run", Brian intended it to be used as the theme of a James Bond movie. It was then titled "Pet Sounds", later also becoming the title of the album it appears on. It is the second instrumental to feature on Pet Sounds, the other being "Let's Go Away for A While".
It was performed by Brian and several session musicians, with no other members of the Beach Boys. The session sheet for the recording date carries the notation, "This is a working title only."
"Pet Sounds" was recorded on November 17, 1965 at Western Studios, with Chuck Britz engineering. The unique percussion sound heard on the track is drummer Ritchie Frost playing two empty Coca-Cola cans, at Brian's suggestion.
The song was played live during the bands 50th Anniversary Tour as a showcase for guitarist David Marks who played the lead guitar part and was the only Beach Boys present on stage during the song. The song often started off the band's second set on the tour.
- The Beach Boys
- Additional musicians
- Roy Caton - trumpet
- Jerry Cole - electric guitar
- Ritchie Frost - drums, Coca-Cola cans
- Bill Green - tenor saxophone, percussion
- Jim Horn - tenor saxophone
- Plas Johnson - tenor saxophone, percussion
- Carol Kaye - bass guitar
- Jay Migliori - baritone saxophone
- Lyle Ritz - upright bass
- Billy Strange - electric guitar
- Tommy Tedesco - guitar
- Lambert, Philip: Inside the Music of Brian Wilson, page 232. Continuum Publishing, 2007.
- Elliott, Brad (August 31, 1999). "Pet Sounds Track Notes". beachboysfanclub.com. Retrieved March 3, 2009.
- Doe, Andrew G.: "GIGS65." Bellagio 10452. Retrieved on 2009-10-11.
- "Pet Sounds Session List". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Sessionography". In Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary Edition [CD booklet]. Los Angeles: Capitol Records