|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2009)|
||This article possibly contains original research. (May 2009)|
A pet store or pet shop is a retail business which sells different kinds of animals, pet food, animal supplies, and pet accessories.
In the USA, Pet shops often offer both hygienic care (such as pet cleaning) and esthetic services (such as cat and dog grooming). Grooming is the process by which a dog or cats's physical appearance is enhanced and kept according to breed standards for competitive breed showing, for other types of competition, like creative grooming or pet tuning contests, or just to their owners taste.
Pet stores commonly sell
- Fish for home aquariums,
- Small birds such as Parakeets and Cockatiels,
- Fancy rats,
- Guinea pigs,
- Fresh water turtles,
Less common in pet stores are larger mammals such as dogs and cats. In the UK and a large number of other European countries, dogs and cats are not sold at pet stores. Exotic pets such as Sugar Gliders, large snakes, hedgehogs, Brazilian short-tailed opossums, and large parrots are available at some pet shops. Because the care of these types of animals is difficult and expensive, these are most often carried only in stores that specialize in exotic animals.
In computer science
In computer science, a "pet store program" is an example of how to use a particular software framework or set of libraries to build a real program. Its concept is similar to the Hello world program. It has been made popular by Sun Microsystems for illustrating Java EE, and many other vendors followed.
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council - Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) is the world’s largest pet trade association, representing all segments of the pet industry.
- American Pet Products Association - The leading not-for-profit trade association serving the interests of the pet products industry.
- Dog Training and Grooming advice
- Dog Training and Feeding advice
- Small Dog Breeds and Supplies
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pet shops.|