He worked as a local television news meteorologist in Northern California and Northern Nevada. He is best known for his 29 years as a meteorologist at KGO-TV in San Francisco. Giddings earned six Emmy Awards during his tenure at KGO.
Giddings' weather career began as a Combat Weather Operative in the U.S. Air Force from 1959 to 1963. He received an award from President John F. Kennedy, recognizing outstanding work in the field of meteorology.
Giddings' first television job was at WTVT-TV in Tampa, Florida where he worked for five years. After a stop in Nashville, Tennessee, he moved to KGO. He joined Reno, Nevada’s KOLO-TV in January 1999. In 2001, he returned to predicting coastal storms in California as he returned to KGO (AM) and at the same time, Giddings forecast the weather at KION and KCBA in Salinas from 2003-2007. Giddings began one of the first regional broadcast ski reports in the 1960s. He is now doing web based forecasts for the Bay Area on his own website.
In the film George of the Jungle, Giddings appears as the ABC7 meteorologist George is watching while hyped up on coffee.
- Fellow, American Meteorological Society (AMS)
- AMS Certified Consulting Meteorologist (CCM)
- Member, AMS Board of Directors of Radio and Television
- Member, AMS Board of School and Popular Meteorological Education
- Fellow, Royal Meteorological Society (United Kingdom)
- Lecturer, UC Berkeley, Stanford University, Dominican University, and Desert Research Institute
In 1990, the AMS honored Giddings with the Award for Outstanding Service by a broadcast meteorologist in recognition of his efforts to combat scientific illiteracy among youth.
In 1996, Giddings was one of fifty meteorologists from around the world to be invited by the Clinton administration to participate in a summit on Climate Change.
Giddings won a national Emmy Award in 1977 for his work producing an educational program entitled What Makes the Wind Blow.
In 1990, the California State Legislature and then-congresswoman Nancy Pelosi honored Giddings with an official resolution for Weather Fun with Pete Giddings a twenty lesson basic meteorology course for fourth, fifth, and sixth graders. The program ran in more than 200 California schools.
Giddings appeared as himself in Disney's 1997 film George of the Jungle.
- http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/e/a/1998/07/15/NEWS15019.dtl SF Gate
- http://www.allbusiness.com/entertainment-arts/broadcasting-industry/6886942-1.html All Business
- http://www.emmysf.tv/silvercircle.pdf Emmys SF
- http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Giddings_Pete_2303329.aspx Zoominfo
- http://pipl.com/directory/people/Pete/Giddings Pipl
- http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/09/03/18445534.php IndyBay
- http://entitycube.research.microsoft.com/p/pete_giddings.htm entity cube