Pete Lopez (politician)
|Peter D. Lopez|
|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 127th district
|Preceded by||Daniel L. Hooker|
April 10, 1961 |
|Residence||Schoharie, New York|
|Alma mater||SUNY Cobleskill
SUNY Albany (M.P.A.)
Peter D. "Pete" Lopez (born April 10, 1961) is a Republican member of the New York State Assembly representing the 127th Assembly District, which includes all of Schoharie County and portions of Chenango, Columbia, Delaware, Greene, Otsego, Ulster counties.
Lopez was born in Miami, Florida and raised in Schoharie, New York. He graduated from Schoharie Central School, the State University College at Cobleskill, and the University at Albany, where he received a Master of Public Administration degree in 1988.
His first run for the Schoharie Village Board was at the age of 20. He lost to a candidate endorsed by the mayor. Lopez later won a seat on the Village Board and worked his way to the position of Supervisor. Lopez served as the District Office Director for John Faso, who later ran for Governor of New York in 2006. In 2004, he was elected County Clerk with about 70 percent of the vote; he served until 2006.
Lopez was first elected to the State Assembly in November 2006, when he defeated Siena College professor Scott Trees by winning 58 percent of the vote on the Republican, Conservative, and Independence party lines. Lopez ran uncontested in the November 2008 and November 2010 general elections.
Pete Lopez is well known in his district for advocating for alternative energy. He and his staff organized a trip to the Maple Ridge Wind Farm, the Fenner Wind Farm, and the Madison Wind Farm in 2007. Lopez also supports biodiesel research and development.
Lopez and his wife Lisa live in Schoharie, New York, and have four children. He is a member of the SUNY Cobleskill Foundation Board as well as the Bassett Hospital Board and is also a black belt in karate.
- "State Assembly: Peter D. Lopez (R), District 127". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on March 12, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "Assembly Member Peter D. 'Pete' Lopez - Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved January 4, 2011.
- "Assembly District 127, Peter D. Lopez: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "Assembly Election Returns: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2010.
- "Election Results 2008: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2008.
- "Assembly Election Returns: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2008.
- "Election Results 2010: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2010.
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly, 127th District