|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Bob Blizzard|
26 August 1961 |
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
|Alma mater||Reading University|
Peter James Guy Aldous (born 26 August 1961) is a Conservative Party politician in England. A former local councillor, he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for the Waveney constituency in Suffolk since winning the seat at the 2010 general election.
Peter Aldous was born in Ipswich, Suffolk but has lived in the north of the county for the majority of his life. His family own farms near Ipswich and the market town of Halesworth. He was educated at Harrow School and graduated from the University of Reading with a degree in Land Management in 1982.
Aldous was elected as a councillor to Waveney District Council in 1999, serving until 2002. He was a member of Suffolk County Council between 2001 and 2005 and was Deputy Leader of the Conservative Group from 2002 until 2005.
Aldous was selected to contest the 2005 general election as the Conservative Party candidate for Waveney but lost to the sitting Labour Party Member of Parliament Bob Blizzard by a majority of 5,915. He contested the seat again at the 2010 general election, this time obtaining 40.2% of the overall vote and generating a 6.8% swing from Labour to Conservative, enough to win the seat by a majority of 769.
- Peter Aldous - Declaration of Interests, 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- ‘ALDOUS, Peter’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 31 Dec 2012
- Peter Aldous, Conservatives. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- Guardian Unlimited Politics — Peter Aldous: Electoral history and profile, The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- Waveney, The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- Peter Aldous MP official constituency website
- Peter Aldous MP Conservative Party profile
- Waveney Conservatives
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Profile at New Statesman Your Democracy
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Waveney