Peter Bailey (born September 16, 1980) is an American author and journalist. Originally from Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, Bailey is known for his gritty, but yet inspirational profile stories on unsung heroes in Miami's impoverished inner city.
Bailey graduated from the University of Delaware with a degree in English with a concentration in journalism. During his junior year he landed an internship at the Village Voice in New York City where his first assignment was to investigate a warehouse used by former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani to store documents. Upon graduation, he went on to write for Newsweek then Time magazine. Bailey covered issues ranging from the AIDS epidemic to "Whiteness Studies". His reporting landed him interviews with major figures including former President Bill Clinton, Guyana President Bharrat Jagdeo, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and recording executive Russell Simmons. Bailey then went to the Miami Herald for what he calls its "grassroots appeal." His series entitled "On the Margins" won the 2007 award for best education reporting throughout Florida by the Society of Professional Journalists and the series was also awarded 2nd place Green Eyeshade Award for best videography. He was also honored by the National Association of Black Journalists for a project called "Shackled Education".
On November 16, 2010, Bailey’s first book was published. “Magic City: Trials of a Native Son” was written in collaboration with Miami rap legend Trick Daddy. Bailey chronicled Trick's poverty-stricken childhood, crime-laden adolescence and eventual incarceration for drug trafficking, leading to his redemption and fame against the backdrop of Miami. The book is published by MTV Publishing/Gallery Books.
Bailey portrays Leo Edwards in the film The North Star, which has a planned release in 2013.
As of early 2013, Bailey is the host of NiteCap with Peter Bailey.
- Caramanica, Jon. "Screams That Charmed, and Other Overlooked Highlights", The New York Times, December 31, 2010.
- Mbugua, Martin. "Covering grassroots issues, reporter works to have an impact", University of Delaware Messenger, March 2005.
- Bailey, Peter."On The Margins", Miami Herald, 2006.
- Guniss, Carolyn. "Street Lit: Trick Daddy Exposes The Underbelly", South Florida Times, November 12, 2010.
- "The North Star". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "NiteCap with Peter Bailey". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2013-02-07.