Peter Brown (footballer, born 1934)
|Full name||Peter Barry Brown|
|Date of birth||13 July 1934|
|Place of birth||Andover, England|
|Date of death||8 December 2011(aged 77)|
|Place of death||Andover, England|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Playing position||Outside forward|
|Andover Old Boys|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Brown was born in Andover, Hampshire and joined Southampton as a part-time professional in January 1952, while continuing his trade as a sign-writer. Later that year, he was called up for national service which he spent with the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) at Crookham Camp, near Aldershot. He returned to Southampton in 1954, when he became a full-time professional, making his debut in the first team on 30 April 1954 at Norwich City. He played at outside-right in place of John Flood; the match ended in a 1–0 defeat, with Brown missing a chance to level the scores.
He spent most of his time at The Dell in the reserves, making three first team appearances at the end of the 1954–55 season, again as a replacement for Flood, with his first goal coming in a 5–3 victory at Colchester United on 30 April. Brown played the first five matches of the following season, scoring against Ipswich Town with a "splendid individual effort" on 24 August 1955; he then gave way to Flood before making a further four appearances towards the end of the season. With Terry Paine beginning to establish himself at outside-right, Brown's first team appearances became more infrequent and in July 1958 he was transferred to Wrexham.
He stayed with the Welsh club for two years, during which time he scored nine goals from 33 league appearances.
- "In Memoriam – Peter Barry Brown". Southampton: Daily Echo. Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (1992). The Alphabet of the Saints. ACL & Polar Publishing. p. 51. ISBN 0-9514862-3-3.
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (2003). In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. Hagiology. p. 489. ISBN 0-9534474-3-X.
- In That Number. pp. 34–35.
- In That Number. pp. 38–39.
- In That Number. p. 40.
- Hugman, Barry (1981). Football League Players Records (1946–1981). Aylesbury: Rothmans Publications. p. 85. ISBN 0-907574-08-4.
- "Kevan Brown". Career details. "Neil Brown". Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- Bull, David (15 December 2011). "Peter Brown 1934–2011". Southampton FC. Retrieved 24 December 2011.