Peter Burrell (1724–1775)
Born in London, he was the son of Peter Burrell and his wife Amy Raymond, daughter of Hugh Raymond. His uncle was Sir Merrick Burrell, 1st Baronet and his younger brother Sir William Burrell, 2nd Baronet. Burrell was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1745 and then with a Master of Arts. In 1749, he was called to the bar by Lincoln's Inn. Burrell sat as Member of Parliament (MP) in the British House of Commons for Launceston from 1759 to 1768 and subsequently for Totnes to 1774. In 1752, he was invested as a Fellow of the Royal Society, and in 1769, he was appointed Surveyor General of the Land Revenues of the Crown.
On 28 February 1748, he married Elizabeth Lewis, daughter of John Lewis of Hackney; they lived at Langley Park. They had four daughters and a son, Peter, the later Baron Gwydyr. Their second daughter Isabella (1750–1812) married Algernon Percy, 1st Earl of Beverley, and was ancestor to the Dukes of Northumberland. Their third daughter Frances Julia Burrell married Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland in 1779, and was mother to both the Third Duke of Northumberland, also named Hugh, and Algernon Percy, Fourth Duke of Northumberland.
- "Leigh Rayment - British House of Commons, Launceston". Retrieved 29 April 2009.
- "ThePeerage - Peter Burrell". Retrieved 3 March 2007.
- "Burrell, Peter (BRL741P)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Leigh Rayment - British House of Commons, Totnes". Retrieved 23 April 2009.
- "Royal Society - Library and Archive catalogue". Retrieved 23 April 2009.
- Haydn, Joseph (1851). The Book of Dignities: Containing Rolls of the Official Personal of the British Empire. London: Longman, Brown, Green and Longman's. p. 194.
- Lodge, Edmund (1838). The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage (6th ed.). London: Saunder and Otley. p. 524.
- Debrett, John (1824). Debrett's Baronetage of England. vol. I (5th ed.). London: G. Woodfall. p. 775.
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Sir John St Aubyn
|Member of Parliament for Launceston
1759 – 1768
With: Humphry Morice
Richard Savage Lloyd
|Member of Parliament for Totnes
1768 – 1774
With: Sir Philip Jennings-Clerke, Bt
Sir Philip Jennings-Clerke, Bt
Hon. Robert Sawyer Herbert
|Surveyor General of the Land Revenues of the Crown
Hon. John St John
|This article about an English politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|